Skype home unavailable

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Skype home unavailable

[ Edited ]

Hi, my Skype video calling has been going perfectly until a few weeks ago........the message 'Skype home unavailable.  Check back later to see your news and alerts' comes up every time so I can't video call my friends.   I have uninstalled Skype and then reinstalled it but I'm still getting the same messge.    Can anyone help me get this sorted, I'd be most grateful.

Thanks

Gail

EDIT : title/message case changed

choylarn
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 13
Message 1 of 68 (62,467 Views)

Re: SKYPE HOME UNAVAILABLE

You should check your connection status. How does the status icon located left to your name look like? It should be solid green with a white checkmark inside. Try to change the connection status using the dropdown arrow next to this icon.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6961
Message 2 of 68 (62,454 Views)

Thanks ruwim, I'm not getting that message now.   'Video call' is greyed out, all my contacts are offline but am I correct in thinking that if one of them came online and I want to contact them, I would be able to if I selected 'video call'?

Gail

P.S.  I'm not sure what Kudos means at the bottom of the email, can you explain please.  I do know the meaning of the word kudos....thanks

choylarn
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 68 (62,443 Views)

Video call button should be available if a contact is Online and of course, if you webcam is working.

Kudos is just a kind of appreciation for providing a helpful answer or advice.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 4 of 68 (62,436 Views)

Okidoki........thanks a lot

choylarn
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 68 (62,433 Views)

Discovered similar error message and dealt with successfully as you recommended.  Thank you very much for your help.

johnwalden1946
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 6 of 68 (61,410 Views)

I am an idiot.

Never thought of looking at my status button. Glad there are people there quicker than I am

asieg33
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 7 of 68 (61,383 Views)

Hi sorry to bother you, but I'm getting that message as well, and when I go into the icon selection list next to my name I've just got arrows going round and round in a grey circle!  I've tried to change status to online, but nothing happens!  Any suggestions please?

gaynor016
Novel Adventurer
Message 8 of 68 (60,503 Views)

gaynor016 wrote:

Hi sorry to bother you, but I'm getting that message as well, and when I go into the icon selection list next to my name I've just got arrows going round and round in a grey circle!  I've tried to change status to online, but nothing happens!  Any suggestions please?

What Firewall and Antivirus applications are installed on your computer?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 9 of 68 (60,501 Views)

Haven't got a clue, total novice to computers/skype.......how do I find out?  I've got a Toshiba Satellite C6070D-11K, installed with E2 Vision, Windows 7, Toshiba Easy Media, Dual Core and AMD Graphics and Energy Star........if that means anything to you?  Sorry to be such a technophobe!

gaynor016
Novel Adventurer
Message 10 of 68 (60,493 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling