Skype for checking on pets

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Skype for checking on pets

We were at an electronics convention and talked to a Skype rep there.  It was suggested that we post our use for Skype here just for fun.

While on vacation, we like to check back on our pets and talk to them, seeing that they are ok, etc. Since we don't have a big security camera setup we decided to use Skype for that. I created a second Skype account and installed it on a second laptop we have. I set the laptop to answer automatically with video.  Now we have our primary laptop with us on vacation and we can dial in to the 2nd account to see how things are going. The laptop at home answers with video/audio so I can call the cats, chat with our birds, etc. Our house sitter even was there one time and I could talk to her about how things were going.  The cats don't always come when called over Skype (they are learning to ignore it) but I did get one of them to hop up by the computer and give me a nose shot through the video! LOL!   

Setagana
Staff Moderator

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

Thanks for sharing this wonderful story, I hope you don't mind that I decided to share it on the Community blog.

Hopefully you'll have many more happy holidays in the knowledge that your furry (and feathered!) friends are only a Skype call away.

View solution in original post
Mycatsmama
Novel Tourist

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

0 Kudos

I'm totally going to do this! Thanks for sharing. m always telling my husband "too bad we can't call the cats and check on them." this is awesome!

View solution in original post
Please use plain text.
foxvalleyspirit
Tourist
Kudos: 9
Message 1 of 5 (1,143 Views)

Re: Skype for checking on pets

Thanks for sharing this wonderful story, I hope you don't mind that I decided to share it on the Community blog.

Hopefully you'll have many more happy holidays in the knowledge that your furry (and feathered!) friends are only a Skype call away.

Please use plain text.
Setagana
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 617
Message 2 of 5 (1,128 Views)

Re: Skype for checking on pets

I'm totally going to do this! Thanks for sharing. m always telling my husband "too bad we can't call the cats and check on them." this is awesome!
Posted from Apple iPad
Please use plain text.
Mycatsmama
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 5 (1,114 Views)

Re: Skype for checking on pets *Not sure how to start a new Feed - sorry

HI,

I have purchased a Uniden BW31xx Series Baby monitor and it says I can connect via Skype.....  How can I connect the Cameras from the Baby Monitor to the Skype account which I had to set up specifically?

I am at a lose...

Cheers

Please use plain text.
Uniden_Skype
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 4 of 5 (927 Views)

Re: Skype for checking on pets *Not sure how to start a new Feed - sorry

Did you manage to work it out? I have the same monitor however I'm having trouble setting it up also

Please use plain text.
Sarah_C
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 5 of 5 (591 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling