Skype for Desktop on Skype for Windows 8

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Skype for Desktop on Skype for Windows 8

I have Windows 8 and the UI of Skype for Windows 8 (the metro app) is terrible, where can I get Skype for Desktop and when I go to https://support.skype.com/m/en/faq/FA12162/how-do-i-get-the-desktop-version-of-skype-on-windows-8 and click download, it is Skype for Windows 8 Metro, not Skype for Desktop

ruwim
Community Ambassador

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

Try with this installer:

http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-full

View solution in original post
kirill2485
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 109
Message 1 of 9 (17,083 Views)

Re: Skype for Desktop on Skype for Windows 8

Try with this installer:

http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-full

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 7069
Message 2 of 9 (17,073 Views)

It appeas a message that says is a corrupted file, not working, wont ven download.
I really don't like skype for windows 8 I want the desktop back.
lppt87
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 9 (12,663 Views)

I posted the same need for a desktop-based Skype, and I downladed a working version from the same link was sent to you and it worked on my PC, try it again

NeoSW
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 4 of 9 (10,446 Views)

i am a microsoft product fan and also a skype fan. but your metro version of skype is shameful. not that i have anything against metro, but this app is a bare bones as can be. please update it very soon or you stand to lose customers to viber.

faust445
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 2
Message 5 of 9 (10,336 Views)

I must add my two cents here.  I expected a new version of Skype made for a new OS to be at least as good as previous versions of Skype but that is absolutely NOT the case with the Windows 8 version.  It sucks.  It is so barebones it isn't acceptable for anything but the absolutely basic of communication - but why even bother.  The desktop version is far superior.  Shame on you, Skype, for releasing such a substandard product.  Why would you even want to put your name/brand to such a poorly written, feature-barren, product? I would recommend removing it from the market and not releasing a Metro/Windows 8 version until you had something that came close to the desktop product.  

Photofin
Novel Tourist
Message 6 of 9 (9,715 Views)

This version 8 skype is junk. Looks like a bus load of **bleep**gots made it or a first grade child. So cheap, so stupid , just a piece of **bleep** to me. Lets all go to Yahoo Messenger.

You bunch of Turds,

Rowdy Yates

david.cassidy69
Casual Tourist
Message 7 of 9 (8,497 Views)

:cool: thank you :cool:

michaelezat
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 8 of 9 (6,456 Views)

I prefer not to use the Windows/Skype Metro. It is the worst product ever!! I prefer the Skype desktop version. I am glad that I found the first post giving me the link to Skype Desktop.

ChicBebe
Novel Adventurer
Message 9 of 9 (5,690 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling