Skype emoticons virus?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Skype emoticons virus?

For the past week my friend has been sending me this 

Your skype does not support extended icons. Please download the extension here: http://skypemoticonsb.asia/index.php?skype=1

It has been the exact same message every time, He doesn't choose to send it.

He has done a full scan with Malware Bytes AntiMalware and has AVG Antivirus, They didn't find anything that would possibly be causing this.

Is it actually a virus or is it legit?

TheKDub
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 23
Message 1 of 42 (79,338 Views)

Re: Skype emoticons virus?

It's a virus indeed. Very similar or identical to cases previously reported here. Please try the following procedures -

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-desktop-client/Skype-spam-virus/m-p/1092504/highlight/true#M82...

I also suggest that they may need to fully update their antivirus/antimalware software first, then run another full scan.

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!

ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES

Skype-User
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 503
Message 2 of 42 (79,269 Views)

Yes this is a virus.

Prajaptiseo
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 4
Message 3 of 42 (77,562 Views)

Here is a method I definitely works that doesn't require any additional software. Thank you Asad Naeem blogspot for sharing.

So here are the following steps to remove it:
1- Uninstall SkypEmoticons from Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs

but it is still there
2 - So go to your Task Manager

3 - Right click and Open file location like that

4 - As the folder opens, click End task the SkypEmoticons (32 bit) process from task manager and then delete the folder named SkypEmoticons from Roaming folder as in the image. Usually the path is"C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\SkypEmoticons"

5 - Now you are free from this malware. :happy:

Plasticbricks
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 24
Message 4 of 42 (77,303 Views)

[ Edited ]

SkypEmoticon is a malware so do not install any kind of new extensions for viewing skype animated icons. Please install the animated icons from well reputed companies do not install them on your friend's request. 
Anyways I installed it and it started disturbing my chat as well. It automatically added new line after every sentence and start sending the above blue sentence as well almost with every sentence of emoticon. 

So here are the following steps to remove it:
1- Uninstall SkypEmoticons from Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs

it doesn't really go so you have to do a bit more. :manfrustrated:

2- Open Task Manager and look for SE.exe Right click on SE.exe and press END Prosess.

3- Open search tool from Start menu. type in SE.exe

4- once the search returns your results. right click on SE.exe and press open in folder. 

5- delete the file from there as well. 

6- restart skype and hoooray. it is gone.

worked for me.

regards

David

David.
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 19
Message 5 of 42 (75,691 Views)

Get away virus. :bigsmile:

blechman4
Novel Tourist
Message 6 of 42 (75,571 Views)

Having tried the other options of deleting Skypemoticons, this one was the only one that worked....  Thanks David

BintangBlue
Casual Tourist
Message 7 of 42 (75,492 Views)

Hello

I have the exact same issue, but neither Skypemoticons.exe nor SE.exe is on process and no entries in control panel programs.

Scanned with Malware Bytes nothing found. But time to time it dipslays Malicios Web site blocked message when skype is opened. Also scanned with ESET Online but nothing is found either. 

Neede help. 

Jarvins
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 3
Message 8 of 42 (75,454 Views)

i deleted the entire folder "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\SkypEmoticons"

Eclipxe
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 5
Message 9 of 42 (71,999 Views)

Thanks so much DAVID !!!!

Thanks everyone!!!! It worked!!!!!

ki2
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 10 of 42 (69,984 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling