Skype disconnects Internet...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Skype disconnects Internet...

A while after using Skype, my computer disconnect with Internet. I can not go on line. Deleting Skype and restarting the computer, I will be on line for email, surfing, etc. However, reinstalling Skype, I will not be able to logg in. No message about wrong Skype name or password, the computer just works and works without logging in. After making a system restore and then installing Skype I can logg in - but abour one hour after using Skype, I get disconnected and all start again... and again and again.

Any suggestion what´s wrong or what to do? I have used Skype for several years, but now something got terrribly wrong. As to my knowledge, I have not added any new software lately. For internet security, I am using f-secure, so far without problems.

Roffe39
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 15 (9,435 Views)

Re: Skype disconnects Internet...

Using the main Skype client program window please do:

Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Connection

Please uncheck the enable uPnP checkbox and click the "Save" button.

Stop/Start Skype

Any better?

Note: If the above works it would be best to change the settings in your router to disable uPnP.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 585
Message 2 of 15 (9,280 Views)

Sorry, your advice did not help as now I cannot logg in at Skype at all (on my ordinary computer). I made a new system restore, followed instructions in "To completely uninstall and then reinstall Skype for Windows" - and was disconnected to Internet. Closing down the computer and restarting, I was connected to Internet allright, could use email account (Gmail), surf, etc. But not logg in to Skype. I tried to open a new account with Skype, but was not able to logg in there either. However, when using another computer, I could logg in to my old account, as weil as to my new one. So something is interfering with Skype on my computer. What? Any suggestion how to find out?

Roffe39
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 15 (9,270 Views)

UberOverLord (or colleague): Still same problem. No more help to expect?
Roffe39
Casual Adventurer
Message 4 of 15 (9,249 Views)

Please follow these Steps:

1. Only do Step 1 if you are on WIN7:

Stop Skype.

Be sure that Compatibility Mode is not enabled (right-click on Skype shortcut icon/launcher and select Properties >> Compatibility) - for Windows 7 users only.

Try to launch Skype.

2. If Step 1 fails or you are NOT using WIN7 do:

Open an Internet Explorer browser, and go to https://login.skype.com/account/login-form?intcmp=sign-in&return_url=https%3A%2F%2Fsecure.skype.com%... , what happens?

If it fails, Please do the instructions below. Using your Windows Control Panel, please do:

Internet Options -> Advanced Tab Please click the "Reset" button.

Then, Go to the Connections Tab.

Make sure that the only checkbox checked is "Automatically detect settings", then click the "OK" button.

Close any open Internet Explorer browser windows, open a new IE browser window and try https://login.skype.com/account/login-form?intcmp=sign-in&return_url=https%3A%2F%2Fsecure.skype.com%... What happens? If it works, please stop/start Skype What happens?

3. If Step 2 does NOT solve the problem:

Please install the normal version using the instructions below:

You can install the Current release by doing this from the top of this page:

Get Skype -> Windows -> Choose the regular release, please do NOT remove what you already have installed, simply, install over.

These instructions have worked for many and is the quickest thing to try to resolve issues such as this.

Also, what operating system are you on?

What is the Make and Model of your computer?

Do you have all Windows updates and updates to any hardware devices by the manufacturers?

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 5 of 15 (9,245 Views)

Thanks for reply. I am using MS Vista and tried the link your suggested but it didn´t work, I only got this Skype message: 

Oops, something went wrong...

We're having technical problems. We're sorry for the inconvenience. Please try again after a few minutes.

(Does the ending "..." belongs to the link? Anyhow, i tried both with and without the dots but got the same message; I tried when I got the message and some hours later...)

So what now? I put all my trust in you...

Answering your questions:

I´m using MS Vista; laptop HP dv6610; yes, I have updated.  

"Roffe39"

Roffe39
Casual Adventurer
Message 6 of 15 (9,233 Views)

Please follow these Steps:

1. Only do Step 1 if you are on WIN7:

Stop Skype.

Be sure that Compatibility Mode is not enabled (right-click on Skype shortcut icon/launcher and select Properties >> Compatibility) - for Windows 7 users only.

Try to launch Skype.

2. If Step 1 fails or you are NOT using WIN7 do:

Open an Internet Explorer browser, and go to https://login.skype.com/account/login-form?intcmp=sign-in&return_url=https%3A%2F%2Fsecure.skype.com%..., what happens?

If it fails, Please do the instructions below. Using your Windows Control Panel, please do:

Internet Options -> Advanced Tab Please click the "Reset" button.

Then, Go to the Connections Tab.

Make sure that the only checkbox checked is "Automatically detect settings", then click the "OK" button.

Close any open Internet Explorer browser windows, open a new IE browser window and try https://login.skype.com/account/login-form?intcmp=sign-in&return_url=https%3A%2F%2Fsecure.skype.com%... again. What happens? If it works, please stop/start Skype What happens?

3. If Step 2 does NOT solve the problem:

Please install the normal version using the instructions below:

You can install the Current release by doing this from the top of this page:

Get Skype -> Windows -> Choose the regular release, please do NOT remove what you already have installed, simply, install over.

These instructions have worked for many and is the quickest thing to try to resolve issues such as this.

Also, what operating system are you on?

What is the Make and Model of your computer?

Do you have all Windows updates and updates to any hardware devices by the manufacturers?

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 7 of 15 (9,212 Views)

I have experienced the same problem, twice already today.  After shutting down skype I had to unplug my modem and router and restart the pc.  After that I could regain internet access, but only if I keep skype closed.  What is the point of having it if you lose internet connection when it is open?

And just after upgrading to Skype Premium too.  Prior to upgrading I never had any problems.  Sounds like the antithesis of good service.  I hope skype gets fixed soon.  After having skype closed for several hours and no problem with the Internet, I am going to try once again.  

I will be back to comment again if I lose my internet connection while using skype.

vawiha
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 8 of 15 (6,778 Views)

Everytime i'm on a skype call (on my ipod/ipad) my internet on my pc stops working. I can't web browse. How is this possible? And no, my ipod/ipad is not plugged into my pc.

MM

misamax0
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 9 of 15 (6,435 Views)

Hello,

I am glad I am not the only one with this problem as it turns out. I have run every malware program on the planet thinking that might be the problem. I, also, have been using Skype for many years now without any problems. However, the last 3 months I keep having the same problems as mentioned above.

The last time I uninstallled Skype and downloaded and installed the latest version of Skype was last Sunday, Feb 17th 2013. As it turns out, this version still gives me the same problems described above and in other blogs I have been reading about Skype. Our whole internet connection goes down after using Skype for about 30 minutes to an hour.

I have Vista Home Premium for a OS with all updates.

Please help.

meetatrhinos
Novel Tourist
Message 10 of 15 (5,034 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling