Skype crashes windows 7...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Skype crashes windows 7...

Hi,

I have been using skype for the past couple of years without any problems what so ever.  However, this evening skype started causing rather large lock ups on my computer and ultimately crashing it.

I had not changed anything to my computer this evening or downloaded anything new then all of a sudden, mid call, skype decided to freeze my whole lap top leading me to hard restart it.

Everytime I logged on to my main admin account (using windows 7) it froze leaving me unable to do anything.  It wasn't until I prevented all start up programmes from running (via the guest account which worked fine) that I realised that it was skype that was causing this huge problem.  I have uninstalled it, reinstalled it, tried using the beta, virus scanned etc.  Nothing works.  Everytime I click start up skype it tried signing me and the whole computer freezes.

THE WEIRDEST thing, however, is that when I start up skype on the guest account on my laptop it works absolutely fine!  No problems what so ever.

Needless to say I am somewhat at a loss to what the problem is.  Any posts regarding what might be the same problem I am suffering from on the skype forums seem to have been deleted when I click on them from google.

Any help or suggestions as to what the problem might be greatly appreciated it!

Cheers

Sharpei97
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 1 of 38 (37,150 Views)

Re: Skype crashes windows 7...

Try with resetting Skype settings on your main account.

Quit Skype or use Windows task Manager to kill any Skype.exe process. Go to Windows Start and in the Search box type %appdata%, press Enter. The Windows File Explorer will popup. Locate there a folder with the name Skype. Rename this folder to something different, e.g. Skype_old. Restart Skype.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6395
Message 2 of 38 (37,049 Views)

Seems to have worked fine!

You, sir, are a genious! Kudos!

Sharpei97
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 38 (37,041 Views)

This worked for me too, thanks!  Of course what sucks is i lost all my skype history of many years which I do look back on for stuff.

I did a reinstall before your fix and it didn't correct the error either.  So thanks for the solution

GeneralJah
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 4 of 38 (35,340 Views)

GeneralJah wrote:

This worked for me too, thanks!  Of course what sucks is i lost all my skype history of many years which I do look back on for stuff.

I did a reinstall before your fix and it didn't correct the error either.  So thanks for the solution

If you have followed the procedure and just renamed the Skype folder, and not deleted it, then your Skype history is not lost.

Make sure that Skype is not running on your computer.

Open the renamed folder. Find there a folder with the name of your Skype account. Within this folder you will see a file with the name main.db. It may only show as “main” but you will see “Data base file” in the type column. Make a copy of this file.

Open now the new Skype folder and again find a folder with your Skype name. Paste the copy of the main.db file over onto this folder. Just make sure that you actually overwrite the existing main.db and not only insert a copy of the old main.db file.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 5 of 38 (35,278 Views)

The problem is the at&t ad. It causes the crash. You can wait till they fix it. Or download beta 5.7

WOWKHRiku
Reliable Adventurer
Message 6 of 38 (35,273 Views)

Really? It does seem that it crashes when that ad pops up. They should really get that fixed since it kind of makes it impossible to use the program.
fsganz
Casual Tourist
Message 7 of 38 (33,590 Views)

fsganz wrote:
Really? It does seem that it crashes when that ad pops up. They should really get that fixed since it kind of makes it impossible to use the program.

Right now, and this started shortly after release of Skype 5.7 Beta on November 17 last year, Skype is running different ads campaigns and these ads usually result in crashes of all Skype versions but not 5.7 Beta. The problematic ads may be very different, depending on the group of users they are provided to.

According to this Jira report

https://jira.skype.com/browse/SCW-3394

Skype is aware about this issue and “is actively working on building a solution for this issue”. Due to current commercial obligations, this may take a while.

Presumable, there exists also a “corrected” 5.6 version, but for some reasons this version is not yet publicly available. At least, not for everyone.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 8 of 38 (33,550 Views)

I had the same problem huge lagg and every thing shut down, it got so bad my pc broke its self, some bad pool error crap... Couldent log on for days and had to take pc to repair man to wipe it clean!

3years of pics and family vids gone, nothing i can do about it now but I rly wish this hole thing would get fixed.

nicekittylol
Novel Tourist
Message 9 of 38 (31,125 Views)

If you have lost photos, you should try recuva from piriform. Even if you have reformatted your hard drive it may get your files back

http://www.piriform.com/recuva

phillipwoolston
Novel Tourist
Message 10 of 38 (30,180 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling