Skype changing how phone numbers are displayed on ...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Accepted Solution

Skype changing how phone numbers are displayed on webpages

I find the automatic conversion of any phone number appearing on a webpage into a Skype action bar to be extremely annoying. As a web designer, I find it unacceptable, because it messes with my layout, and I can't see what "non-Skype" people see.

I hope that there is some way of telling it to stop doing this, or I will be forced to uninstall Skype on my main work computer. Please let me know how to stop it. Thank you.

wickenden
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 1 of 10 (2,796 Views)

Re: Skype changing how phone numbers are displayed on webpages

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 7415
Message 2 of 10 (2,769 Views)

Thank you, that fixed it!

wickenden
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 3 of 10 (2,760 Views)

Really appreciate this concise and correct solution.
W2_Insight
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 4 of 10 (2,431 Views)

[ Edited ]

The solution posted here removes the skype number formatting only on that specific machine where you have removed the skype toolbar. However, other people who visit your website will have the skype formatted number (if they are skype users who didn't uninstall the toolbar).

To solve this without un-installing the toolbar, just add this meta tag to the head section of your web page. It basically tells skype toolbar not to format any numbers

<meta name="SKYPE_TOOLBAR" content="SKYPE_TOOLBAR_PARSER_COMPATIBLE" />

I found this solution long time ago when I had this issue and it worked for me. Hope this helps!

Mohamed Elgharabawy

http://itscoding.com

itscoding
Casual Tourist
Message 5 of 10 (2,082 Views)

Doesn't work for me sadly, I think that meta tag has been usurped! Skypes insideous nature will not go UNCHECKED! I will be back with a better solution hopefully when I have found one.

If Skype would like to interject here and inform us on how to disable the toolbar from hyjacking my website's telephone numbers, well, that would be just great, it could save web developers like me a lot of time and my client's a lot of money!

leeingram
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 10 (1,287 Views)

I managed to get it to work by putting the number in random spans, of random length, so as to SEMANTICALLY not define it as a telephone number.

Please don't go and ruine this for me Skype. Thanks

leeingram
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 10 (1,284 Views)

This seems like the right solution, but when I click on the link it tells me "Access Denied" and that I don't have sufficient privileges.  Any other suggestions?

purkeydan
Casual Adventurer
Message 8 of 10 (1,024 Views)

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 7415
Message 9 of 10 (1,023 Views)

I was able to find another fix.  If Click to Call is enabled on Internet Explorer, there will be a small Skype icon on the toolbar.  Click on it and click "uninstall."  Then close the IE browser and reopen.  It worked for me.

purkeydan
Casual Adventurer
Message 10 of 10 (1,015 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling