Skype causing Windows 7 to hang.

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Skype causing Windows 7 to hang.

Hello!

Basically I'll get straight to the point then provide extra details at the bottom.

After an hour or two of painstaking troubleshooting I have found that a problem causing my laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium to hang (freeze up completely) was due to skype. Basically when skype was set to automatically start with windows, it caused the crash.

I'm not going to go through the amount of things I tested when troubleshooting, but I will say the results.

• At first I thought it was an audio driver issue, but it in fact was not for my pc is working fine without skype.
  • I can open skype and it will not crash, It's logging into my account that causes windows to hang.

Things I've tried:

• Reinstalling Skype (First time by overwriting current skype files, that didn't work so I then removed and installed it fresh - to no avail)
  • When reinstalling from fresh, I have tried removing all AppData files to do with skype.

If any of you know anything that could stop skype from crashing my laptop, please let me know.

I have all the latest driver updates (to my knowledge) and windows updates, and my computer is sufficiently cooled - before you link me to older forum posts I have found :tongue:

Thanks, th3ant

th3ant
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 12 (3,672 Views)

Re: Skype causing Windows 7 to hang.

Open Windows Event Viewer -> Custom Views -> Administrative Events. Look for any recent error messages with timestamp corresponding to the crash event. You can copy and paste here the text from the General tab.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6062
Message 2 of 12 (3,665 Views)

[ Edited ]

Ok, just made it crash again on purpose and looking at the logs there there are quite a few entries.

I know I crashed it at 18:58, but there are no specific logs for that time.

The two logs before hand (18:55) show an error to do with Dhcp-Client, both say this in the general tab:

[EDIT] It would appear I misread, this error happend at 17:55 not 18:55, this is when I turned on the PC)

Your computer was not assigned an address from the network (by the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 0x4C80934F2F3C.  The following error occurred: 0x79. Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

Then the next logs are to do with the system loosing power and not shutting down properly (that was me forcing the computer off). These logs are at the time I switched my PC on again (18:59) and say:

(EventLog)

The previous system shutdown at 18:57:09 on ‎14/‎05/‎2012 was unexpected.

Then: (Kernal-Power)

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Then: (Kernel-EventTracing)

Session "Microsoft Security Client OOBE" stopped due to the following error: 0xC000000D

Then: (RTL8167)

Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller is disconnected from network.

There are a fair few more errors to do with a dodgy Bluetooth driver, and the DHCP error pops up again, but nothing else that I think is worth putting here.

Does that help? -Ant

th3ant
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 12 (3,656 Views)

Both the DHCP errors and the Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller error indicate that there are some problems with your network connection. Whether this is a cause or result of the crash, I don’t know. How are you connected to the Internet? Do you have any alternative ways to connect to Internet?

Are you using any Bluetooth devices? Perhaps you should look at the faulting drivers.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 4 of 12 (3,646 Views)

[ Edited ]

Ok, well I never knew until moments ago that there were problems with these drivers.

I don't use any Bluetooth devices.. Although I will follow this problem up..

As for the Internet, I'm not 100% sure why my pc has realtek drivers as this machine has a Intel wireless card (which works absolutely fine). I think it must have installed with the Dell Driver utility disk (as this particular laptop can have different cards due to localisation.)

I will try uninstall this driver, and then see if skype works/the error goes away.

Ok, It would appear the Realtek driver is for the ethernet card, but I practically always use WiFi so that is not a problem for me. Any other suggestions?

th3ant
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 12 (3,643 Views)

Very sorry, Never updated this. In the end I just went with a full reinstall of Windows 7.. Not sure what the problem is, maybe some corruption with windows/driver files?! I am not running the same system again so I'm now done with this thread. (Saying this because I'm not sure if I can close it)

th3ant
Casual Adventurer
Message 6 of 12 (3,023 Views)

When ever i sign in to skype my system hangs up. I have windows 7 home basic. I had stpped usng skype coz of some issue. i did not know it was this. please help.

bunnymahajan
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 12 (2,718 Views)

I have the same problem and have spent over 5 days trying to find the cause but to no avail.

I am using win7 ultimate. I am using skype version. 6.3.

The crazy thing about this problem is that after uninstalling skype, the pc works alright without any hitch.

So up to the time of writing, I have discarded skype to save me this notoriously nagging problem.

Any SOLUTION, please?????

daddykay
Novel Adventurer
Message 8 of 12 (2,200 Views)

daddykay wrote:

I have the same problem and have spent over 5 days trying to find the cause but to no avail.

I am using win7 ultimate. I am using skype version. 6.3.

The crazy thing about this problem is that after uninstalling skype, the pc works alright without any hitch.

So up to the time of writing, I have discarded skype to save me this notoriously nagging problem.

Any SOLUTION, please?????

Try to uninstall the currently installed version and install the older 6.1.0.129 version using this msi-installer:

http://download.skype.com/msi/SkypeSetup_6.1.0.129.msi

After installing this version, make sure to disable the Automatic updates:

Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Automatic updates ->Turn off automatic updates

There is already a bug report on this issue submitted to Jira.

https://jira.skype.com/browse/SCW-4113

The only working solution seems to be to revert to the older Skype 6.1.0.129 version.

See also this on potential conflict with such applications as Freecorder:

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-desktop-client/Skype-causing-Windows-to-lock-up/m-p/1542810#M1...

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 9 of 12 (2,194 Views)

Hi ruwim,

Thanx for your tip. It worked perfectly well.

Now the question is: for how long must Automatic Updates be disabled?

daddykay
Novel Adventurer
Message 10 of 12 (2,184 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling