Skype causing Blue Screen on Windows 7

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Skype causing Blue Screen on Windows 7

I just recently acquired a new computer and after installing Skype the second I log in it causes a blue screen of my computer. I tried a few times and the same happened everytime. Anyone else sharing this problem?

GBIK
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 1 of 91 (20,638 Views)

Re: Skype causing Blue Screen on Windows 7

Blue screen on Windows 7? Wow. I've never managed to get BSOD on any of my Win7 PCs.

But what may cause this - no idea, really.
Slava
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 1407
Message 2 of 91 (20,628 Views)

[ Edited ]

Before doing anything else, please use a Internet Explorer browser and do:

Tools -> Windows Updates

Note: even after installing some updates, it may appear that there are no more to install, please reboot, if that is the case,  and do the above step, one last time, to force any pending Updates to display, until after doing so, there are none.

Also, please go to the manufacturers web site, in most cases, you can have it scan your system, if you choose to let it, and it will show you what new software/drivers are needed.

If you don't do the above, you will have many problems, and not isolated just to Skype.

After doing ALL of the above, please do this:

Please install the beta version using the instructions below:

If you have the normal Skype version installed, please install the beta version, if you have the beta version installed please install the normal version from Skype.com, please do NOT remove the current Skype installation, install over it.

You can install the current release or the Current beta release by doing this from the top of this page:

Get Skype -> Windows -> Choose the normal or beta release, please do NOT remove what you already have installed, simply, install over.

These instructions have worked for many and is the quickest thing to try to resolve issues such as this.

If this fails, then please check this as well:

Stop Skype.

Be sure that Compatibility Mode is not enabled (right-click on Skype shortcut icon/launcher and select Properties >> Compatibility) - for Windows 7 users only.

Try to launch Skype.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 585
Message 3 of 91 (20,626 Views)

Thank you.

I will try these out and see what happens and if something still goes wrong then I might just call the manufacturer and see.

GBIK
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 4 of 91 (20,618 Views)

You are very welcome.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 5 of 91 (20,610 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have a similar problem. The only difference is: on my PC Windows 7 crashes when I turn on mij Logitech webcam Pro 9000 during Skype session. It crashes not directly, but within few minutes after turning on the cam.

Without webcam Skype is working perfectly, Windows does not crash.
When I turn the webcam without Skype it's also working good.

It begins to occur after on of the Skype updates. Before that it was ok.

Do you have any suggestions? I've allready updated video driver & webcam driver.

OlegM
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 6 of 91 (20,592 Views)

Using your Windows Control Panel:

Adminstrator Tools -> Event Viewer

Click on System and later Applications, do you see any errors logged during the times this happens, if so what errors?

Also, please check times after you reboot to see if any errors are produced when you system is restarting.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 7 of 91 (20,576 Views)

Thanx!
One of theese days I'll do so and I'll let you know if I'll find something.

OlegM
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 8 of 91 (20,567 Views)

every time i answer a call or video call skype shuts down what could be the problem

jpjpjp3080
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 9 of 91 (20,563 Views)

[ Edited ]

jpjpjp3080 wrote:

every time i answer a call or video call skype shuts down what could be the problem

Please follow these Steps:

1. Only do Step 1 if you are on WIN7:

Stop Skype.

Be sure that Compatibility Mode is not enabled (right-click on Skype shortcut icon/launcher and select Properties >> Compatibility) - for Windows 7 users only.

Try to launch Skype.

2. If Step 1 fails or you are NOT using WIN7 do:

Open an Internet Explorer browser, and go to msn.com, what happens?

If it fails, Please do the instructions below. Using your Windows Control Panel, please do:

Internet Options -> Advanced Tab Please click the "Reset" button.

Then, Go to the Connections Tab.

Make sure that the only checkbox checked is "Automatically detect settings", then click the "OK" button.

Close any open Internet Explorer browser windows, open a new IE browser window and try msn.com again. What happens? If it works, please stop/start Skype What happens?

3. If Step 2 fails do:

Please install the beta version using the instructions below:

You can install the Current beta release by doing this from the top of this page:

Get Skype -> Windows -> Choose the beta release, please do NOT remove what you already have installed, simply, install over.

These instructions have worked for many and is the quickest thing to try to resolve issues such as this.

Also, what operating system are you on?

What is the Make and Model of your computer?

Do you have all Windows updates and updates to any hardware devices by the manufacturers?

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 10 of 91 (20,559 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling