I was hoping someone could help me troubleshoot this issue. I just returned from abroad where everything was working alright - when I tried to connect to Skype from home again, I got (after a long loading in the signup mode) the message: "Skype can't connect. Get help fixing this problem."
So far I have - after consulting with some previous threads here on the forum - the following steps, all of them to no avail.
1. Checked the internet connection. All of the application that require network connection from my computer work A-okay, plus my girlfriend's skype that is connected through the same network works in perfect order.
2. Checked all the firewall settings. I disabled both firewalls, i.e. on my anti-virus software and the Windows Firewall. Skype still wouldn't connect.
3. Updated my Skype 4.2 to the latest version (sorry, haven't checked which one it was) - Skype still wouldn't connect.
4. Completely removed said version of Skype in line with the instructions found on this forum (sorry, apparently it is not allowed to post links here). Skype still wouldn't connect.
5. Installed the beta version of 5.5 as suggested by one of your developers in another thread here on the forum. Skype still wouldn't connect.
At this point I am at a complete loss of ideas on what else might work.
I currently have the 5.5 beta installed, and use a 2,4 GHz Intel core duo laptop, 4 GB ram, Windows Vista Home Premium, BitDefender Internet Security 2010 antivirus.
Any suggestions that might lead to a solution of this problem will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Solved! Go to Solution.
Curiously enough, the IE9 cannot open any connections at all - I get the "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" message.
msn.com opens normally through Firefox 5.0 that is my default browser.
16-07-2011 16:50 - edited 16-07-2011 16:51
Using your windows Control Panel, please do:
Internet Options -> Advanced Tab
Please click the "Reset" button.
Close any open Internet Explorer browser windows, open a new IE browser window and try msn.com again.
So, I reset the options in line with your instructions.
I still get the same message as before. I still get "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage".
16-07-2011 17:06 - edited 16-07-2011 17:07
Using your Windows Control Panel please do:
Internet Options -> Connections -> Lan Settings
Please make sure no checkboxes are checked and then click the OK button, close any open IE browser windows, open a new IE browser window and try again to go to msn.com, what happens?
Did you click the OK button anyway, if not please go back and do that. Then can you use a new Internet Explorer browser window to go to msn.com and does that work?
Well, I haven't before.
What I have done now is that I ticked the "Automatically detect settings" and I did get to the frontpage of the MSN - and what is more important, I have been able to log into Skype, too!
Thank you so much for the prompt assistance!