Skype can't find my webcam

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Logitec webcam has worked for several years.  Suddenly, it is not recognized by Skype.

I am running Windows 7 on a PC.  Webcam appears on Control Panel, Devices list and appropriate drivers are present.  Two days ago, video failed to operate.  In Skype Tools  - Options - Video settings, message came up: "Skye cannot find webcam.,,,"  This is inconsistent with the presence in the device list.  Where do I go now?

sanderr
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 7
Message 1 of 21 (41,884 Views)

Re: Skype can't find my webcam

Are you running the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows?

What is your Webcam Model?

try deleting the config.xml file

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows/I-have-to-restart-my-skype-before-other-people-can-hear-me/m-p...

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6511
Message 2 of 21 (41,874 Views)

32-bit
Logitech HD Webcam C270
sanderr
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 21 (41,869 Views)

You can try to uninstall the device driver for your webcam and you can manually disable automatic Windows update for drivers.

After that try to install your Logitech driver again along with your webcam and see if it works as windows will not automatically go on the net to look for drivers or preconfigured drivers.

Press WINKEY+R

type gpedit.msc

In the Local Group Policy Editor navigate to,

Computer Configuration >> Administrative Templates >> System >> Driver Installation

Now from the right sidebar open the key named "Turn Off Windows Update Device Driver Search Prompt" and select Enabled and click OK. (You can disable it after the troubleshooting)

gpeturnoffwu.PNG

Restart your computer.

Now, Unplug the webcam

Click Start, type devmgmt.msc and press enter.

Locate the  Logitech HD Webcam C270

Right click on the device and select uninstall

Also place a check mark beside the option "delete driver files for the device"

Uninstall additional software from the Control Panel.

Restart your computer.

Install the Logitech HD Webcam C270 driver with this link: (Select Full Installer)

http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/support/webcams/hd-webcam-c270?section=downloads&bit=&osid=14

Once prompted plug-in the webcam

Run Skype.

any improvement?

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 4 of 21 (41,867 Views)

Tried the delete config file recco.
Entering "%appdata%\skype" in seach box did not open that file. It opened a window with a long list of files, none of them "config.xml",
sanderr
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 21 (41,866 Views)

Under %appdata%\skype directory, open your SkypeUserName folder

and remove Config.xml file first

Run Skype. If still the error persists, then follow the instructions on my previous post

Regards,
Tamim

Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 6 of 21 (41,864 Views)

Am running 32-bit Windows 7

Logitec HD C270

Cannot find config.xml file

sanderr
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 21 (41,860 Views)

Ensure that "Show hidden files and folders" is switched on.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Show-hidden-files

config.PNG

Change My Name to Your Name.

Regards,
Tamim

Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 8 of 21 (41,856 Views)

skype cant find my webcam

lanitha
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 9 of 21 (35,684 Views)

hi

I bought a A4tech full hd web cam its working correctly with his program IM magician but skype can*t fint it

I am running Windows 7 on a PC.  Webcam appears on Control Panel, Devices list and appropriate drivers are present. 

zsolti368
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 10 of 21 (35,614 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling