Skype Won't Download

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Skype Won't Download

Hey guys. I have a Dell Inspiron with Windows 7. I have had Skype on here before, but I  uninstalled it because it wouldn't ever sign me in. 

I have tried and tried to reinstall it I don't know how many times. Each time I try, it gets to what looks like the end, but it never finishes. I've waited almost an hour, but it still won't finish downloading. In about the middle of installing, a message pops up asking me to close out of applications when I don't even have anything running. I've tried choosing both options, one being that it will automatically close them for me and the other restarting the system once Skype downloads, but it still never finishes downloading.

In several instances, an error message pops up and says "Error reading File." I can't exactly remember which file, but I know it had the word PHONE in it.

I've looked up this problem online already. I've tried restarting, shutting down my computer. I went back and uninstalled any Skype aspect I had on my computer, but it still doesn't work.

Am I just never going to be able to use Skype? Help.

careydimple33
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 1 of 22 (3,927 Views)

Re: Skype Won't Download

What antivirus software are you using?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6313
Message 2 of 22 (3,650 Views)

Trend Micro.

careydimple33
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 22 (3,639 Views)

A new version has just been released:

Please click the "Get Skype" link at the top upper left of this page and download the normal version of Skype, NOT the beta version to get this new version.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 765
Message 4 of 22 (3,637 Views)

I am trying that right now, but this error message just popped up. And this is after shutting down my security progam. It says:

Error writing to file:

C:/ProgramDate/Skype/Apps/login/static/images/headerBg.png. Verify that you have access to that directory.

I have no idea what that means...

careydimple33
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 22 (3,628 Views)

Please check your malware protection and allow the Skype install. Worse case, disable it to do the install ("Note: Please do NOT do any internet surfing if you do this until you re-enable it").

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 6 of 22 (3,623 Views)

I've already tried that. I turned everything off when I did that download. As well, Skype freezes up my computer every time it fails so I have to shut it down.

careydimple33
Casual Adventurer
Message 7 of 22 (3,619 Views)

And now I can't even try to download Skype, because it won't let me download it without signing in. And when I try to sign in on my laptop, it says I can't do it because I have cookies disabled in my browser, and I have no earthly idea what that even means.

careydimple33
Casual Adventurer
Message 8 of 22 (3,608 Views)

[ Edited ]

Did you finish the install of the latest version? Did it start? Does it freeze?

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 9 of 22 (3,606 Views)

Yes it starts, and it gets to what looks like the very end, but then it never finishes. It says it's still responding, but I can't ever pull anything else up when it downloads and it won't close so I have to turn off my computer.

careydimple33
Casual Adventurer
Message 10 of 22 (3,592 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling