Skype Keeps disconnecting and Re-connecting

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Skype Keeps disconnecting and Re-connecting

HI There, 

since last week my skype, and a couple of my skype contacts have been experiencing the same problem. Skype will stay connected for a while in the morning and then it will will start disconnecting and showing you as offline. If you whach it, you can actually see it disconnecting, looking for a connection and then connects again for a couple of seconds. 

I though it was the version that I'm running so upgraded and currently running on version:

5.5.0.113 but this has not changed anything. To rule out my company network I tested this at home on my home network with both my Laptop and my Pc and the result is the same. 

What could it be? and how do we get arround this?

vincent-kelly
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 4
Message 1 of 60 (66,068 Views)

Re: Skype Keeps disconnecting and Re-connecting

Hey! i have the same problem, when i talk/chat with people it sometimes bounces off and people cant recieve my calls or messages
Mathdams
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 2 of 60 (65,967 Views)

Using the main Skype client program window please do:

Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Connection

Please uncheck the enable uPnP checkbox and click the "Save" button.

Stop/Start Skype

Any better?

Note: If this works it would be best to disable uPnP at the router level.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 578
Message 3 of 60 (65,960 Views)

I have tried running with uPnP disabled but it was not better. I had it with uPnP disabled for the whole of yesterday. This morning I have switched it back on even though it still drops, it seems to be better with it enabled.

vincent-kelly
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 4
Message 4 of 60 (65,943 Views)

Are you using a wireless network nearby other possible wireless networks, like near or in an apartment/condo like building that might be on your same wireless channel?

If so, please see this free program that can tell you if this is causing you issues as well.

http://virtualtelephoneservices.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=8

If this is a laptop/notebook, it could be overheating, during long video calls, this free program can tell you if this is the case.

http://almico.com/speedfan.php

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 578
Message 5 of 60 (65,936 Views)

I'm having the same problem. It's annoying. I've done what you said here, and ever tried forwording the port. Still disconnects randomly. It's not my internet connection because its at 100% and it doesn't disconnect in the game I'm playing. Please release an update to fix this problem.
DexLuther
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 6 of 60 (63,757 Views)

I'm having the same problem too. It disconnects randomly and my contacts can't even see me as online.
kingofthewest
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 2
Message 7 of 60 (63,713 Views)

Having this problem too.. Fedora 15.. tried port forwarding but didn't help..

Tried running command line with pipelogin, but there's not really any debug... is there any way to get debug output from this software?

jimmiJohn
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 8 of 60 (63,411 Views)

Try deleting shared.xml file as mentioned here : https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA10981

If not helping make sure your router is enabling UDP packages transmission. :wink:
NoxxeR
The Documentator
Kudos: 10
Message 9 of 60 (63,384 Views)

Anyone fix this yet?

mixedtogrey
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 10 of 60 (63,358 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling