Skype Home is unavailable

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Re: Skype Home is unavailable

I am about to lose it. I'm running the newest version of Skype on a Windows 7 64-bit PC. The "Skype home is unavailable at the moment" message has been there for the past 2 days.  I cannot make or receive calls.

brittany622
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 2
Message 21 of 55 (3,297 Views)

There seems to be an issue with the Skype server and the Home page at the moment, for some, including me. If all your other Skype functions are currently working, it should return back to normal soon. Skype is aware of this issue and working on it.

If you are having other issues besides the Skype home issue, please post them here.

Please follow these Steps:

1. Only do Step 1 if you are on WIN7:

Stop Skype.

Be sure that Compatibility Mode is not enabled (right-click on Skype shortcut icon/launcher and select Properties >> Compatibility) - for Windows 7 users only.

Try to launch Skype.

2. If Step 1 fails or you are NOT using WIN7 do:

Open an Internet Explorer browser, and go to https://login.skype.com/account/login-form?intcmp=sign-in&return_url=https%3A%2F%2Fsecure.skype.com%... what happens?

If it fails, Please do the instructions below. Using your Windows Control Panel, please do:

Internet Options -> Advanced Tab Please click the "Reset" button.

Then, Go to the Connections Tab.

Make sure that the only checkbox checked is "Automatically detect settings", then click the "OK" button.

Close any open Internet Explorer browser windows, open a new IE browser window and try https://login.skype.com/account/login-form?intcmp=sign-in&return_url=https%3A%2F%2Fsecure.skype.com%... again. What happens? If it works, please stop/start Skype What happens?

3. If Step 2 does NOT solve the problem:

Please install the normal version using the instructions below:

You can install the Current release by clicking this link: http://download.skype.com/SkypeSetup.exe

Please do NOT remove what you already have installed, simply, install over.

These instructions have worked for many and is the quickest thing to try to resolve issues such as this.

Also, what operating system are you on?

What is the Make and Model of your computer?

Do you have all Windows updates and updates to any hardware devices by the manufacturers?

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 1614
Message 22 of 55 (3,294 Views)

I installed the current release and everything is back to normal. Thanks for the help

dinorinaldi78
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 23 of 55 (3,288 Views)

dinorinaldi78 wrote:

I installed the current release and everything is back to normal. Thanks for the help

You are very welcome, glad to help.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 24 of 55 (3,286 Views)

brittany622 wrote:

I am about to lose it. I'm running the newest version of Skype on a Windows 7 64-bit PC. The "Skype home is unavailable at the moment" message has been there for the past 2 days.  I cannot make or receive calls.

I think you can also try to perform the complete uninstall process.  This procedure differs from the usual uninstall as this will remove/delete almost all traces of Skype in your computer.  This will allow you to re-install a fresh copy of Skype in your computer, and possibly fix the problems you are currently experiencing.  Incidentally, I often perform a complete uninstall before installing a newer version of Skype, and not experiencing the problems with the Skype Home window as described.

Please visit the link below on how to backup your files and how to do the complete uninstall process. 

How can I completely uninstall and then reinstall Skype?

I also read some posts from other users that they was able to resolved this issue by cleaning their system using software such as CCleaner (which I think is a freeware). Just personal suggestions.

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1407
Message 25 of 55 (3,262 Views)

Hey again

i have a new problem if you could check my post out

moe_679
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 26 of 55 (3,248 Views)

Re: Hey again

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 27 of 55 (3,234 Views)

Hello,

I'm having this same problem but nothing I do is working.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the most recent version.  I rebooted the computer, and now it's not even letting me sign into skype.  This is so frustrating.  I've had no problems up until now and it just completely stopped working.  Any help anyone can offer would be amazing.  When I try to log in online, it works, but when I log in from my desktop (to make calls) it says "Skype can't connect" despite the fact that I have a strong internet connection.

Please help ASAP!!

Zelda617
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 28 of 55 (3,130 Views)

Im response to this above post, I did a little more digging and deleted the temporary files in the Skype folder, installed updates, and rebooted again, all with absolutely no improvement.
Zelda617
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 29 of 55 (3,124 Views)

I had the same problem and I clicked on the status icon next to my skype name. This somehow activated the account and I logged on immediately.  

Bruce

bkapca
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 30 of 55 (3,114 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling