Skype Fatal Error, (KERNEL32.dll)

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: Skype Fatal Error, (KERNEL32.dll)

IhateAwesome wrote:

Negative on sp3 not being installed correctly.

Sp3 was installed from on a fresh HD from a oem xpsp3 disk. PC's been running fine on ver 6.5 but when ver 6.9 got pushed is when the kernel32 error started.

You can install this small application on your computer (Dependency Walker)

http://www.dependencywalker.com/

Using this application open the C:\Windows\System32.dll\kernel32.dll file. Look for presence of the GetLogicalProcessorInformation function in this DLL file.

See the attached image.

Dependency_kernel32.jpg

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6850
Message 251 of 358 (10,811 Views)

My Skype is not working please check the problem 

Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 252 of 358 (10,759 Views)

How much time did it take?? ans also is it same like formatting??? Because I have large no. of data on my C drive... :sad:

please reply asap..

thanks in advance. :happy:

Prassy
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 253 of 358 (10,751 Views)

Prassy wrote:

How much time did it take?? ans also is it same like formatting??? Because I have large no. of data on my C drive... :sad:

please reply asap..

thanks in advance. :happy:

Updating your Windows XP installation to SP3 will not affect your data.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/learn-how-to-install-windows-xp-service-pack-3-sp3

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 254 of 358 (10,739 Views)

ruwim wrote:

IhateAwesome wrote:

Sp3 was installed from on a fresh HD from a oem xpsp3 disk. PC's been running fine on ver 6.5 but when ver 6.9 got pushed is when the kernel32 error started.

Using this application open the C:\Windows\System32.dll\kernel32.dll file. Look for presence of the GetLogicalProcessorInformation function in this DLL file.

See the attached image.

Dependency_kernel32.jpg

Very interesting. I have Windows XP Professional 32 bit WITH (apparently a different version of) SP3 that came with original installation. I ran this dependency walker program and my kernel32.dll has NO "GetLogicProcessorInfo....." function. This of course explains the confusion and may also explain why I never received any updates on this PC. I cannot remove the existing SP3. Installing a new downloaded version of SP3 fails with "cannot install catalogue files" error. Tried to borrow a newer kernel32.dll file (with the GetLogicprocessor...etc. function) from other PC and install. This as expected failed also as file appears protected. Probably for good reasons. It seems I am out of options and only solutions are sticking with Skype 6.6 or switching to Windows 7 (zillion updates. Can't MSFT do anything right the first time?? It appears one spends more time with th eproduct resolving issues than actually using it) or 8 ( neither one I like as these create new problems with hardware and drivers. Thanks Microsoft :(n):  ) Think I may explore Ubuntu/Linux in stead. Time better spent. And free of charge :happy: 

FlyingDutchman2
Reliable Adventurer
Kudos: 11
Message 255 of 358 (10,729 Views)

FlyingDutchman2 wrote:

ruwim wrote:

IhateAwesome wrote:

See the attached image.

Dependency_kernel32.jpg

Very interesting. I have Windows XP Professional 32 bit WITH (apparently a different version of) SP3 that came with original installation. I ran this dependency walker program and my kernel32.dll has NO "GetLogicProcessorInfo....." function. This of course explains the confusion and may also explain why I never received any updates on this PC. I cannot remove the existing SP3. Installing a new downloaded version of SP3 fails with "cannot install catalogue files" error. Tried to borrow a newer kernel32.dll file (with the GetLogicprocessor...etc. function) from other PC and install. This as expected failed also as file appears protected. Probably for good reasons. It seems I am out of options and only solutions are sticking with Skype 6.6 or switching to Windows 7 (zillion updates. Can't MSFT do anything right the first time?? It appears one spends more time with th eproduct resolving issues than actually using it) or 8 ( neither one I like as these create new problems with hardware and drivers. Thanks Microsoft :(n):  ) Think I may explore Ubuntu/Linux in stead. Time better spent. And free of charge :happy: 

SAGA CONTINUED:
Not being able to leave a challenge alone I managed to succeed upgrading SP3 by using the manual method in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798 (Scroll down there are several methods shown that may or may not work in each case)

Method 2: Rename the Catroot2 folder

This resulted in a correct SP3 update.  with no more "cannot install catalogue files" errors. (FYI Microsoft's Mr. Fix never fixed anything for me). Checking with dependency walker confirmed the GetLogicProcessorInformation function was now present. After this updating to Skype 6.10 still produced errors but first manually uninstalling version 6.6 and downloading version 6.10 did the trick.

Added bonus was dat XP Professional now agin downloads and installs updates and the last two versions (2012 and 2013 which produced on-line errors) of TurboTax software now also download updates again.  :happy:

Hope this is the end of this saga.

Dependency walker turned out to be a useful tool.

FlyingDutchman2
Reliable Adventurer
Message 256 of 358 (10,689 Views)

:(y)::(y): A good example on how the problems should be solved.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 257 of 358 (10,543 Views)

ruwim wrote:

:(y)::(y): A good example on how the problems should be solved.

If this applies to me :wink: , Thank you.

FlyingDutchman2
Reliable Adventurer
Message 258 of 358 (10,540 Views)

Yes. This was to you.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 259 of 358 (10,536 Views)

Faild to get proc adress for getlogical processor information (kernel 32.dll

Skype fatal error,(KERNEL 32.dll)

jadoon900
Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 260 of 358 (9,551 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling