Skype Fatal Error, (KERNEL32.dll)

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Skype Fatal Error, (KERNEL32.dll)

I use skype on my Windows XP. It is an old computer, but I make it work. I now get this Fatal Error when I try to open Skype: "Failed to get proc address for GetLogicalProcessorInformation (KERNEL32.dll)". I have Deleted and redownloaded Skype to see if that would fix it but it hasn't. How can I fix this? 

This widget could not be displayed.
ruwim
Community Ambassador

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

The only what you need to do in order to solve this issue is to update your Windows XP installation to Service Pack 3.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/learn-how-to-install-windows-xp-service-pack-3-sp3

The GetLogicalProcessorInformation function was first introduced in Windows XP with Service Pack 3 and was not present on older Windows XP installations.

More information here: https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA12388/why-am-i-getting-a-fatal-error-kernel32-dll-when-i-try-to-launch-skype

View solution in original post
robertf2424
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 306
Message 1 of 358 (949,944 Views)

Re: Skype Fatal Error, (KERNEL32.dll)

[ Edited ]

The only what you need to do in order to solve this issue is to update your Windows XP installation to Service Pack 3.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/learn-how-to-install-windows-xp-service-pack-3-sp3

The GetLogicalProcessorInformation function was first introduced in Windows XP with Service Pack 3 and was not present on older Windows XP installations.

More information here: https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA12388/why-am-i-getting-a-fatal-error-kernel32-dll-when-i-try-to-l...

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 5819
Message 2 of 358 (949,923 Views)

That has fixed the problem, and seems my computer is running a bit smoother also. Took awhile to do though. Thanks!

robertf2424
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 306
Message 3 of 358 (949,904 Views)

im getting fatal error KERNEL32.dll. ihave intel processer windows xp soft ware 

aruna_21
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 55
Message 4 of 358 (949,604 Views)

aruna_21 wrote:

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 5 of 358 (949,551 Views)

It doesn't fix the problem. I still can't open my skype! Please help

elyel
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 29
Message 6 of 358 (949,185 Views)

elyel wrote:

It doesn't fix the problem. I still can't open my skype! Please help

What exactly happens when you are trying to start Skype? Any error message?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 7 of 358 (949,163 Views)

we start up skype and then it turn off automatically and if we are trying to open it it show the dailoge of fatal error

ruwim wrote:

aruna_21 wrote:

how i can start up the skype

link.tp
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 40
Message 8 of 358 (948,292 Views)

link.tp wrote:

we start up skype and then it turn off automatically and if we are trying to open it it show the dailoge of fatal error

how i can start up the skype

What exactly is this fatal error mesage saying?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 9 of 358 (948,082 Views)

I have tried AT LEAST a couple dozen times to download service pack 3 and my computer will not do it!!!!  I have gone through many very complicated 'fixes' but no mater what I do, this xp media center computer (2006) will not install or download any service packs.  It's like there is something that is preventing it, I know this sounds strange but whatever it is almost seems intelegent in the way it blocks all attempts.  I even dumped the whole system, and started from 'factory' settings and that didn't help.  Have you ever heard of a computer doing this?  I really need to have skype but I get the 'fatal error' message every time.  HELP!!!

leebird
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 9
Message 10 of 358 (299,058 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling