Skype Desktop on Windows 8

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: Skype Desktop on Windows 8

I_hate_8 wrote:

Skype support instructions work fine to install a desktop version, however it cannot make calls.  The 'call phone' icon never comes up off shaded and clicking it does nothing.  Double clicking a contact - nothing.

Cannot make calls *period*

Using 'Start Screen' version is awkward, since my application data is all on the desktop.  kludgey.

Tamin's REVO Uninstall suggestion KILLED MY WinHATE install!  I had to REFRESH Load the OS - AND - ALL MY APPS again.  I'm really interested in some ELSE's ideas, here.  Perhaps someone...oh, I don't know...who WORKS FOR SKYPE, perhaps.

I have new Lenovo H5s/AMD PC.

Is your connection status on Skype Online? The status icon next to your name must be solid green with a white checkmark inside.

Is any of your contacts shown as Online on Skype, i.e. with a solid green icon next to their names?

Have you tested your microphone? In Skype go to Tools -> Options -> Audio settings. What device is selected for your Microphone? Can you see any response on the Volume bar when you make any sound?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6802
Message 31 of 70 (1,421 Views)

ruwim wrote:

I_hate_8 wrote:

Skype support instructions work fine to install a desktop version, however it cannot make calls.  The 'call phone' icon never comes up off shaded and clicking it does nothing.  Double clicking a contact - nothing.

Cannot make calls *period*

Using 'Start Screen' version is awkward, since my application data is all on the desktop.  kludgey.

Tamin's REVO Uninstall suggestion KILLED MY WinHATE install!  I had to REFRESH Load the OS - AND - ALL MY APPS again.  I'm really interested in some ELSE's ideas, here.  Perhaps someone...oh, I don't know...who WORKS FOR SKYPE, perhaps.

I have new Lenovo H5s/AMD PC.

Is your connection status on Skype Online? The status icon next to your name must be solid green with a white checkmark inside.

Is any of your contacts shown as Online on Skype, i.e. with a solid green icon next to their names?

Have you tested your microphone? In Skype go to Tools -> Options -> Audio settings. What device is selected for your Microphone? Can you see any response on the Volume bar when you make any sound?

When I was able to have the Desktop Skype signed in (cannot even do that anymore) the status 'cloud' never changed from grey with spinner (which seems like 'trying to connect')

No contacts appeared to show as 'Online'

Hardware is fine.  All works alright with WinHate version from Start Menu.

Tried uninstalling WinHate Version entirely.  Still no joy on the desktop.

I_hate_8
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 32 of 70 (1,403 Views)

What Firewall and Antivirus applications are installed on your computer? Be aware that even expired or not activited AV-applications may still block Skype.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 33 of 70 (1,402 Views)

I have a new laptop with Windows 8 and can not get my stored photos to open? The photo gallery choice is darkened and will not open the file?

kamaainalarry
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 34 of 70 (1,318 Views)

kamaainalarry wrote:

I have a new laptop with Windows 8 and can not get my stored photos to open? The photo gallery choice is darkened and will not open the file?

Where have you stored these snapshots? Are they on your new laptop or still on the old one?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 35 of 70 (1,308 Views)

I have the same problem on my Windows 8 notebook. Skype stops working intermittently when my notebook comes back from Hibernation or Sleep Mode. It doesn't happen all the time, and that's what annoys me.

When I say it stops working, I mean that:

1. Skype goes into this Hang mode where making a call will make it go into an infinite loop.

2. Exiting Skype doesn't seem to work as I will get the "already signed in" message.

The only way to get Skype to work again is by rebooting the notebook. I have seen many suggestions but to date, there has been no definitive answer to fix this problem.

ayuen43
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 36 of 70 (1,298 Views)

ayuen43,

Try Below:

reset skype in safe mode w/n, run Skype and disable uPnP.

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-8/Can-t-login-to-skype/m-p/1351451/highlight/true#M6208

you can also try to disabling automatic startup of Skype.

Tools >> Options... >> General settings >> Uncheck "Start Skype when I start Windows."

Restart to Normal Mode.

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6182
Message 37 of 70 (1,297 Views)

The old computer will not boot up. I have previously viewed the old Snapshot Gallery from a remote computer. New computer's Snapshot Gallery Option is darkened and will not click or take photos

kamaainalarry
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 38 of 70 (1,285 Views)

kamaainalarry wrote:

The old computer will not boot up. I have previously viewed the old Snapshot Gallery from a remote computer. New computer's Snapshot Gallery Option is darkened and will not click or take photos

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-8/Opening-Snapshot-Gallery/m-p/1375776#M7297

You can try to disconnect the hard disk from this old computer and read the content of this drive using a special USB cable.

http://www.edbpriser.dk/lagringskabinet/sandberg-usb-all-in-1-hard-disk-link-id-391825.aspx

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 39 of 70 (1,279 Views)

Hi all, 

had the same silly problem with log in to Skype. There was no way to use this app.Metro version works fine on desktop PC. Small laptop has can`t run this app (small resolution) so I must use desktop version. 

Now I'm using Skype 5.10 with compability mode for Windows 7. So far it is running. Only thing is it can't detect mic and speakers. Cam is working ok. Mic and speakers are working perfectly in Window 8, only Skype has problem.

Another thing. I have dasktop with Windows8 and my wife has laptop with Windows8. We have our own Microsoft accounts.Can we use the same Skype account at the same time on desktop and laptop? Really messy now with all those log in options ( facebook, ms account, skype account....)

lenina
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 40 of 70 (1,236 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling