Skype Audio Problems Trouble Shooting

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Re: Skype Audio Problems Trouble Shooting

[ Edited ]

If you are using Realtek onboard audio:

Try the latest (v2.73 11/2013) generic Realtek "High Definition Audio Codecs" drivers to see if it resolves the problem. I use these drivers on my computers that are compatible and have not run into any major issues. They are available at the link below:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads

Installing the drivers is generally a two-stage procedure. On it's own it will uninstall your existing drivers, prompt you to reboot, then it will install the latest release after the reboot. You would probably want to reboot one more time afterward. Also be aware that it is recommended to have Mic boost set to zero when using Skype, but the lowest setting where people can still hear you may suffice.

If you are using HP IDT onboard audio:

I am unable to find an up-to-date direct download link from HP, so I provide an up-to-date link myself.  You can get the latest drivers (11/2013 Win7-8.1 WHQL) here: 

http://www.pcdust.com/Downloads/IDT/HP_IDT.zip

Once unpacked, if this driver suite does not allow you to update, you will need to uninstall your current IDT Drivers from "Programs and Features" then you should be able to upgrade to this release.

Though this has been covered several times in this thread, below is my explanation and current settings on my systems with the latest drivers to resolve feedback or other variable audio issues:

There are several settings in your sound drivers, OS settings and other times in the hardware itself  (preamp) that can adjust input/output levels of your audio.  I would suggest you try these changes even if it doesn't seem like it would influence anything in your situation.

Sound - "Communications" tab - affects audio level of system audio.

Set to "Do Nothing"

commtab.jpg

Speakers/Headphones Properties - "Enhancements" tab (if it exists) - "Disable all sound effects" or try unchecking any/all checked options.  Items like "Loudness Equalization" can create the increasing/decreasing mic feedback issues (with or without mic muted) that don't seem to occur with other audio applications.  With these options disabled especially on both parties' computers with onboard mics, conversation feedback levels can be normalized.

Disable_effects_speakers.jpg

Microphone Properties - "Enhancements" tab (if it exists) - "Disable all sound effects" or try unchecking any/all checked options.  Items like "DC Offset Cancellation" can inhibit mic audio levels, create distortion or clicking.

Disable_effects_mic.jpg

techfreak
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 802
Message 131 of 167 (1,488 Views)

So I've been having issues with skype calls over the last few days. I updated to the newest version of skype and it still happens. I made sure to update my GPU drivers, made sure I had no more windows updates to install. I did speed and ping test and I have more than enough of a high speed connection, I even contacted my ISP and my bandwidth is fine.

I try to call a friend and on the right, the bar says my speed is yellow, slow and sometimes medium even though we're not running any programs that would affect our bandwidth to cripple it like that.

His internet connection is just fine as well. Still have the same issue with other people on my contacts list, and including in group skype chats. Also, I try to test my connection and it keeps saying unknown. Even though I try the echo test and it recently said my connection was fast.

Hias
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 132 of 167 (1,347 Views)

Hias wrote:

So I've been having issues with skype calls over the last few days. I updated to the newest version of skype and it still happens. I made sure to update my GPU drivers, made sure I had no more windows updates to install. I did speed and ping test and I have more than enough of a high speed connection, I even contacted my ISP and my bandwidth is fine.

I try to call a friend and on the right, the bar says my speed is yellow, slow and sometimes medium even though we're not running any programs that would affect our bandwidth to cripple it like that.

His internet connection is just fine as well. Still have the same issue with other people on my contacts list, and including in group skype chats. Also, I try to test my connection and it keeps saying unknown. Even though I try the echo test and it recently said my connection was fast.

Do you have real problems with call quality?

With the latest 2 Skype versions (6.10 and 6.11) the call quality indication shown on the call tool bar is basically wrong. Also test the connection speed with these latest versions will always result in “unknown speed”. This is a known BUG in these Skype versions.

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-desktop-client/Test-Connection-Feature-not-working-and-no-supp...

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Kudos: 7345
Message 133 of 167 (1,333 Views)

How nice of Skype's developers/management: known bug sits there for two production releases in a row! I applause! It looks like traces of MS's governing hand...

vlad_frolov
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 4
Message 134 of 167 (1,323 Views)

Yes, during calls, sentences get cut off, voices sometimes become choppy and robotic. It's extremly annoying. And again, my Internet connection should not be the issue, nor should be the problem of the friend I'm in a call with.

Skype is saying I have a slow or medium connection and it's treating it as such. This is ridiculous.

Hias
Casual Adventurer
Message 135 of 167 (1,321 Views)

Fully agree with you: this is not connection issue. You're able to watch TV alive and at the same time Skype folks stating that there's bad connection? I would spit in theit faces.

vlad_frolov
Routine Adventurer
Message 136 of 167 (1,312 Views)

I am so glad to know I'm not the only one having this problem!  My other half and I use Skype every day to keep in touch (long distance relationship), and basically ever since Microsoft came out with Xbox One, we've had nothing but problems with Skype on PC.  The speed on it always says it's medium or low, when it goes red (for no reason) it cuts us off without warning...we don't even have to be running any other programs or anything like that for it to do this.  When he talks it spaces out at times...it's ridiculous!  We're in talks about switching to something else.

tealtiger
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 137 of 167 (1,295 Views)

[ Edited ]

I haven't had any major audio/video issues with Skype,  I have never relied upon the connection status information.  I have always used the call technical details to troubleshoot issues since it's been far more reliable.  Ideally you want the connection between both contacts to be UDP, no relays and no BW_LOW and BW_CRITICAL error messages.  You will generally recieve a MIC_Overload error when you or your contact uses an onoard/wireless mic, but can be minimized by adjusting/disabling audio enhancements or Mic boost.  There are things you can control and there are things to you can't.

If you use Skype To Go to dial a phone number (no PC involved) and there are audio quality issues then there are definitely things you can't do to repair problems with that access number.  When you are dialing from PC to PC and are getting errors/low quality then you can do things to optimize your "Skype" connection irregardless of your actual Internet bandwidth.  

To minimize the issue being caused locally I always suggest going wired, disabling the use of ports 80/443 in Skype, disabling uPnP, and designating an incoming port.  In your hardware/software firewall/router you can either DMZ your IP or port range forward TCP/UDP ports 1024-65535.  Ideally if this is done on both ends, you have the ability to obtain the highest quality "Skype" connection.  I've only really had bad quality Skype calls when I had a defective router on my network (causing BW low errors even though my Internet in general was fine),  ISP issues,  I'd saturated my Internet with too many simultaneous downloads or when I'm forced to call contacts with poor quality/restricted Internet (thus forced through 4 relays).  If another person's audio is getting cut off on your end, it generally could be an issue with audio/mic settings on either end or their upload speed is poor for whatever reason causing the latency.

Other things that can affect audio is USB or USB hub latency/power/sharing.  If either side is using a USB headset device you can always try switching to 3.5mm jack analog audio headsets to see if the problem is minimized due to less overhead.

I personally use wireless and wired all over my house and a USB converter for my analog headset.  So their is nothing wrong with going that route.  Once I resolved my own networking problems, I no longer had bandwidth related errors.  I haven't had to make any new changes since.  When other USB devices are connected to my USB hub, I do get audio artifacts or it acts up/cuts out/disconnects.  When I have it by itself it seems to work fine.  It also functions correctly when directly connected to onboard USB ports.  Erratic USB behavior can vary from machine to machine, hub to hub. or device to device.

techfreak
Community Ambassador
Kudos: 802
Message 138 of 167 (1,280 Views)

Thanks much for the detailed info

yseric1
Casual Adventurer
Message 139 of 167 (1,261 Views)

Pretty good explanations with tech details of why we're experiencing problems with Skype but there's one thing that's been left untouched: poor design. What was good on erlier 90s is not nowadays. Why internet connections still good for everything but Skype? What's missing over there in design that I have to manually tune it up? How torrents and other peer-to-peer connection survive whereas Skype needs a specifically (and manually?) opened a dedicated UDP port range? These are questions not for techfreak though: I am really thankful to him for his insight. These are for Skype (now Microsoft) folks.

...VF

vlad_frolov
Routine Adventurer
Message 140 of 167 (1,247 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling