Skype Audio Problems Trouble Shooting

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Skype Audio Problems Trouble Shooting

[ Edited ]

Below are some suggestions to check and fix possible audio related problems.  Just try whichever are applicable or you haven’t tried yet.

1.    Double-check if your microphone/s and speaker/s are properly plugged-in, active, or turned on.  Be sure that they are also not muted.  You can also test them using other applications to make sure that they are working and not defective.

2.        Download and install the most recent version of Skype.  Issues, bugs, problems, and irregularities in older versions are often fixed or solved in the latest Skype version.

3.       Update your audio/microphone/webcam drivers.  You can use the Update Device Drivers function of your operating system, or visit the corresponding manufacturers’ site to check if there are new versions of drivers for your devices.  

4.  Download and Install remaining updates for your Operating System.

5.       Click Tools >> Options >> General Audio Settings.

If the other party can’t hear you

Under Microphone, select the preferred microphone device that you want to use (there could be one or more options available when you click the dropdown selection arrow).  Check if the Volume Meter will respond when you make sounds. 

You can also try to uncheck Automatically Adjust Microphone Settings and manually Adjust the volume to 80%-90% full.

If you can’t hear the other party

Under Speakers, select the preferred speaker/headphone device that you want to use (there could be one or more options available when you click the dropdown selection arrow).   To test you speaker/headphone, click the check speakers option (green play icon) and check if the Volume Meter will also respond.

You can also try to uncheck Automatically Adjust Speakers Settings and manually Adjust the volume to 80%-90% full.

audio settings.png

You can also click the Show Advanced Options to change the order of preference of the available microphone and speaker devices in your computer.   For example;  you place your external microphone on the top of the list, followed by your internal microphone.  Skype will first look for your external mic, and will only use the internal mic of the external mic is not available or not plugged-in.

6.   Call echo123 the Skype sound testing service to check if your mic and speakers are working.  If both are working, you should be able to hear the automated voice and the recording of your own voice.

Useful Links;

1. Skype sound set up guide

2. Call Sound Testing Service (Echo123)

click the Call Me Button below

Skype Me™!

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1654
Message 1 of 176 (205,133 Views)

Re: Skype Audio Problems Trouble Shooting

done all that.What happens.is every time I start a new session it changes the top box in the audio settings from the one that works to the next setting,which dosn't then I have to change it back again.the next session I have to change it back to the previous setting which will work.I have to change the settings back and fore to get them to work at the beginning of each setting.If you understand all that!!!! Regards Artfog

artfog
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 6
Message 2 of 176 (205,031 Views)

ive done everything, i have audio in all other apps and even in my browser, the other side can hear me, but i cannot hear them, i dont even hear any ringing if i call them.  Tried Skype test call and its all silent, no ringing sound, nothing 

skydiver
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 5
Message 3 of 176 (204,933 Views)

Thank you for your suggestions. I apparently have an unusual problem. I hear the normal sound when skype come on. I also checked speakers and the volumn meter responded. I went to sounds and the sounds played. However, when I tried a test call I could hear nothing. Any other suggestions??

Al

Alfred35
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 4 of 176 (204,728 Views)

Alfred35 wrote:

Thank you for your suggestions. I apparently have an unusual problem. I hear the normal sound when skype come on. I also checked speakers and the volumn meter responded. I went to sounds and the sounds played. However, when I tried a test call I could hear nothing. Any other suggestions??

Al

Do you have all Windows updates and updates to your system and any hardware devices by the manufacturers?

Please also see these:

https://support.skype.com/en-us/faq/FA10658/How-can-I-ensure-my-DirectX-and-graphics-drivers-are-wor...

If you are using WIN7 please see this: https://support.skype.com/en-us/faq/FA10330/Sound-guide-Windows-7

http://support.skype.com/en-us/category/CALL_QUALITY/

Note: the above link has 2 pages so please view them both.

https://support.skype.com/en-us/faq/FA265/How-can-I-make-a-test-call

https://support.skype.com/en-us/faq/FA10746/How-can-I-improve-my-audio-quality

Also, you can use the Skype client program window at anytime and do:

Hellp -> Call Quality Guide -> Sound Check Wizard

A new version has just been released September 1, 2011:

Please download from here and when prompted click the open or run button: http://download.skype.com/SkypeSetup.exe

This new version is 5.5.0.115 to check what version you have, using the main Skype client window please do:

Help -> About Skype

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 585
Message 5 of 176 (204,714 Views)

this does not work. i tried it many times. pl help

nbk1000
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 6 of 176 (203,783 Views)

i can not get my skype page i don't see my friends who are on skype i'm getting to upgrade and it doesn't work

bernicedube
Tourist
Message 7 of 176 (203,637 Views)

I am having the same problem now, can not hear test call and when I cal someone they can not hear me, but I can hear them.  Any suggestions

samiam2510
Novel Tourist
Message 8 of 176 (202,262 Views)

I re-installed Skype but still no audio on Echo 123, re-checked the audio settings and it was set to independent headphones, don't know how that happened, selected speakers & headphones and all is well again. So simple!!
sandrallewellyn
Casual Tourist
Message 9 of 176 (201,546 Views)

I set my Uncle up on Skype. Did Microphone test and all  Ok. When he calls I can see him with his external camera, but can't hear him, although I have checked and the sound monitor is moving up and down on the scale. What can I do. 

sharon1
Novel Adventurer
Message 10 of 176 (193,943 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling