Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Accepted Solution

Trying to add a friend to Skype and i get a "Check Your Connection" message in the add contact window.

and i am online.....

I might not have the best internet but i know i am on it lol....

but seriously, i keep getting this message. Skype has been giving more and more trouble since the merger with MS and it is starting to change my mind about it.

I tried troubleshooting steps on the support forums with no solution.

Any ideas?

Accepted Solution

by Primemover

Re: Skype: Add Contact - Check Your Connection.....

hi!  please visit the link below for a compilation of the suggestions and procedures that would most likely fix such problems;

"Add a Contact" Window Problems

View solution in original post

Accepted Solution

by theburninatress

I had this problem also. I was using a new computer and hadn't opened internet explorer yet, which meant it hadn't completed the install. I'm assuming Skype uses some of the same components. It was as simple as opening explorer and finishing the installation for me, hopefully this can help at least someone.

View solution in original post
VaughnWhiskey
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 14
Message 1 of 27 (41,217 Views)

suggestion;

1. Check if Internet Explorer is not Offline (regardless of the internet browser you set as default as Skype uses IE engines).

2. Clear IE. Delete Temporary Internet Files, clear cach cookies, etc

3. Reset IE. Click Internet Options >> Advanced. Then click Restore Advanced Settings and Reset. Click OK then restart.

4. Temporarily disable your anti-virus or firewall just to check if they are causing the problem. Don't browse any webpage or use other applications that uses internet connection while they are disabled. Immediately reactivate them after testing. If this solve the issue, then you may need to adjust or change some settings in your anti-virus or firewall.

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1407
Message 2 of 27 (41,059 Views)

[ Edited ]

already did that all of that, don't even use IE anyways....

and now i get this in Skype Home

Skype Home unavailable

Skype Home is unavailable at the moment. Check back later to see your news and alerts.

It's easy to start a conversation on Skype:

• Choose a contact and start talking
  • Call a phone or mobile from the dial pad, or send an SMS.

Also when i go to skype in IE the site is messed up looking, but it is fine in Google Chrome and Firefox....

VaughnWhiskey
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 27 (41,037 Views)

VaughnWhiskey wrote:

already did that all of that, don't even use IE anyways....

and now i get this in Skype Home

Skype Home unavailable

Skype Home is unavailable at the moment. Check back later to see your news and alerts.

It's easy to start a conversation on Skype:

• Choose a contact and start talking
  • Call a phone or mobile from the dial pad, or send an SMS.

Also when i go to skype in IE the site is messed up looking, but it is fine in Google Chrome and Firefox....

Please go here and click "Run Now": http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

Note: The newer Skype clients use IE ("Internet Explorer") programmatically, so IE must be currently set up properly, even if it is not your default browser, or not used normally.

0 Kudos
TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 1614
Message 4 of 27 (41,026 Views)

i just uninstalled and i am going to wash my hands of Skype

thanks everyone.

VaughnWhiskey
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 27 (41,021 Views)

Plase check date/time. This error occures when your computer date is not correct.

VladicaJ
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 4
Message 6 of 27 (40,560 Views)

Please follow these Steps:

1. Only do Step 1 if you are on WIN7:

Stop Skype.

Be sure that Compatibility Mode is not enabled (right-click on Skype shortcut icon/launcher and select Properties >> Compatibility) - for Windows 7 users only.

Try to launch Skype.

2. If Step 1 fails or you are NOT using WIN7 do:

Open an Internet Explorer browser, and go to https://login.skype.com/account/login-form?intcmp=sign-in&return_url=https%3A%2F%2Fsecure.skype.com%... , what happens?

If you see a message box that contains a connect button, please click on the connect button.

If the page fails to display, Please do the instructions below. Using your Windows Control Panel, please do:

Internet Options -> Advanced Tab Please click the "Reset" button.

Then, Go to the Connections Tab.

Make sure that the only checkbox checked is "Automatically detect settings", then click the "OK" button.

Close any open Internet Explorer browser windows, open a new IE browser window and try https://login.skype.com/account/login-form?intcmp=sign-in&return_url=https%3A%2F%2Fsecure.skype.com%... again. What happens? If it works, please stop/start Skype What happens?

3. If Step 2 does NOT solve the problem:

Please install the normal version using the instructions below:

You can install the Current release by clicking this link: http://download.skype.com/SkypeSetup.exe

Please do NOT remove what you already have installed, simply, install over.

These instructions have worked for many and is the quickest thing to try to resolve issues such as this.

Also, what operating system are you on?

What is the Make and Model of your computer?

Do you have all Windows updates and updates to any hardware devices by the manufacturers?

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 1614
Message 7 of 27 (40,535 Views)

That was simple. Fixed the problem. THanks!

0 Kudos
Mr_Tom_FL
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 8 of 27 (39,457 Views)

[ Edited ]

Re: Skype: Add Contact - Check Your Connection​.....

Plase check date/time. This error occures when your computer date is not correct.

Thanks for the advice......I updated the date "AND" time and it worked perfectly. Initially I updated only the time and it still gave me problems....then I went back and updated the date.....Brilliant..!!

0 Kudos
julius_rodrigue
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 9 of 27 (39,408 Views)

None of what is written here works!!!

i tried all the steps. I have windows 7, and still, nothing helps. i had not compatibility enabled and I tried to download the normal version (which was older than the version i have which is 5.5...)

The message i got when i tried to download was: the version you trying to install is older than your version. I continued anyway and.... "we are having problems connecting with the download server. To download an alternative installer for Skype, click the "download" button. Which i did not do, as it was not described in the process. Funny that AGAIn, I have a problem with skype after a windows UPDATE. Tired of it. maybe I should just stop using skype and use just Facebook or Gmail?? They are as good as skype and don't have problems with windows!!! I saw someone had done the same already, so, maybe I should also "wash my hands on skype"? And post it on Facebook?  As I have already seen, a lot of people are complaining, so if I provide an alternative to skype, you might loose a lot. So, please do soemthing about windows update, i am tired of paying ofr internet for nothing!! (especially that I paid for unlimited calls from skype and found out that is only from Skype to landline numbers, when, in fact the whole world is using mobile!! Stupid!!! I paid for nothing as I don't know landline numbers!)

phyl1968
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 10 of 27 (39,127 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling