Skype 5.3.0.120 do not update to 5.5

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Skype 5.3.0.120 do not update to 5.5

I have now Skype 5.3.0.120 installed on my WIN7 Home Premium SP1 64 bit HP DV7 laptop. Currently with language option "Dutch". I tried to update to the latest Skype version 5.5 (via Help - Check new version) but I get always the reply "You have already the latest available version installed" ...  ??

I tried also to change the Language option to "English" ...  restarted Skype ... update ... but I got the same reply....

Any reason ?? Any help on this issue. Is the "Skype update" option not working properly ?

Many thanks and greetings, Adelin

Zeezicht
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 18 (5,168 Views)

Re: Skype 5.3.0.120 do not update to 5.5

Apparently, Skype does not consider an upgrade from 5.3 to 5.5 as a critical issue.

This is the answer I have received from Skype Customer Service when a similar situation was after release of 5.2 and the currently installed version was 5.1.

“We understand your wishes to download the latest version of Skype (5.2) for your computer. Please note that this release is not limited to any regions. It's just that we consider it as a minor upgrade, and therefor we do not alert you to upgrade to it.”

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 7399
Message 2 of 18 (4,828 Views)

Zeezicht wrote:

I have now Skype 5.3.0.120 installed on my WIN7 Home Premium SP1 64 bit HP DV7 laptop. Currently with language option "Dutch". I tried to update to the latest Skype version 5.5 (via Help - Check new version) but I get always the reply "You have already the latest available version installed" ...  ??

I tried also to change the Language option to "English" ...  restarted Skype ... update ... but I got the same reply....

Any reason ?? Any help on this issue. Is the "Skype update" option not working properly ?

Many thanks and greetings, Adelin

If you want to upgrade despite the explanation that ruwim provided, use this link to downloaded the latestest full installer:

http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-full

Save the file from that link to your hard drive and run it once the download is complete.  It will install v5.5.0.113.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 1901
Message 3 of 18 (4,821 Views)

Thanks everybody. I downloaded manually Skype 5.5.0.113 and did the install. Everything runs well. So I can conclude that the "Skype update function = Control of new versions" is not working/functioning at all. Many thanks and greetings, Adelin
Zeezicht
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 18 (4,772 Views)

[ Edited ]

Skype controls what versions show what updates, and may have reasons on why the current version does not show up as an update. They can however change this by release at anytime as well.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 1614
Message 5 of 18 (4,770 Views)

[ Edited ]

I am having a similar issue but slightly different. 

First, I checked from the help menu for a newer version, and one was available. But it only went from 5.3.0.116 to 5.3.0.120 . 

Then I tried from the skype.com website to download 5.5, and I still get 5.3.0.120

Then someone sent me the 5.5 file. Same result. 5.3.0.120

So I was told to uninstall Skype and then try to get 5.5

So I prepared for that... knowing it is not the usual way upgrades happen. "Skype automatically removes the old version when you update to a newer version."  I was concerned that uninstalling would cause me to lose chat history and contacts (true? or not? I want to know ...) ... Regardless, I wanted to be safe.

So, I backed up all 3 folders with Skype data (ProgramFiles(x86), Application Data and the whole registry) into a zip folder, made a system restore point, uninstalled and went to Skype.com to get 5.5. 

I still got 5.3.0.120.

I then saw in the same help menu and it says again, there IS a new version available.  I click the download button for the new version it breifly opens the Initializing window, then closes and nothing else happens. My Skype is still open (it did not close and restart like it would with a normal upgrade). 

So now I am told I may have a corrupt uninstaller. 

Is there a way, for me to get 5.5?

I did notice that when I was looking at options during installation, that it had more options then 5.3.0.120 has. I am going to oldapp to try downloading the same vs I have now in hopes of getting the correct uninstall for this v 5.3.0.120.

Ideas?

Oh... would stopping automatic updates to 5.5 in the past a couple time have caused this inability to upgrade to 5.5 now? 

Get my Skype Tips or Find New Skype Friends and Skype Chat Rooms at my Skype Directory or join my membership site all about Skype http://SeeYouOnSkype.com
JulieWolf
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 6
Message 6 of 18 (4,369 Views)

Re: Skype 5.3.0.120 does not update to 5.5

[ Edited ]

Update: Uninstalling the 5.3.0.120 from the oldapp site in hopes of getting a good (not curupt) uninstaller for this version, then installing 5.5 from Skype, still resulted in the same 5.3.0.120!

Above I mentioned that I noticed that there seems to be more install options in 5.5 then in 5.3.0.120. 

So this time, I took a screenshot of the install options for 5.5 and the extra options I saw that are NOT in 5.3.0.120 (though oddly 5.3 is what I get when it is done installing), included:

1. Select where Skype sould be installed > Browse 
  2. Create a desktop icon
  3. Start Skype when the computer starts
    .... along with all the other options I see in 5.3.0.120... 3 browser plugins and launch after install. Or is this the options for after uninstalling and being invited back and that is why it looks different maybe?

Anyway... 

I think I have tried everything I can think of to get 5.5. Anything else I can try? 
Get my Skype Tips or Find New Skype Friends and Skype Chat Rooms at my Skype Directory or join my membership site all about Skype http://SeeYouOnSkype.com
JulieWolf
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 6
Message 7 of 18 (4,359 Views)

Please use this as the download link: http://download.skype.com/SkypeSetup.exe there were/are some problems with the download server, this link will work.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 1614
Message 8 of 18 (4,325 Views)

**** This one works. Thanks!!

levisnet
Novel Tourist
Message 9 of 18 (3,722 Views)

Seems to be a theme.

I had 5.5 on my windows 7 netbook for ages then suddenly it started crashing. In trying to fix it I reinstalled and to my surprise got 5.3 off the download page for 5.5. That was a few weeks ago. I have tried a couple of times both full installs and via up grade and it doesnt upgrade

wiccanjedi
Novel Adventurer
Message 10 of 18 (3,705 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling