Save a received Video Message?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Save a received Video Message?

[ Edited ]

Hello Community,

I would like to save a number of video messages I received recently. They appeared inside the conversation, I was not provided a web link of any sort - I am able to watch them inside the actual Skype conversation. I took a look in this directory:
C:\Users\[myusername]\AppData\Roaming\Skype\[myskypename]\voicemail

and I found a number of .dat files. I don't know if these are the videos or not, but I can't play them in VLC Media Player even when I rename them to different file types. If these ARE the videos, how can I convert them to a viewable format? If they are NOT the video messages, where can I find and download them to my computer for keeping?

Thanks very much for your help in advance.

EDIT: My Skype version is 6.5.59.158

ruwim
Community Ambassador

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

There are no links to Video messages on the latest Skype 6.5.0.158 version. The messages are displayed directly in Skype window. The links were only provided when Video messages were received on older Skype versions.

Actually, you don’t need to save these messages to your computer. You should be able to watch these Video messages in your Skype for the next 10 years. The only what you need to ensure is that the chat database file (main.db) is still intact and that you don’t delete any chat messages. You will find this file here:

C:\Users\your win user name\AppData\Roaming\Skype\your Skype name\main.db

This is a standard SQLite 3 database file and can be viewed with any SQLite browser. See e.g this:

http://community.skype.com/t5/The-Skype-Lounge/Mom-accidentally-deleted-all-my-contacts-HELP/m-p/615207#M64797

Links to Video messages are saved in the VideoMessages Table but they are not permanent. Each time you play the received message in your Skype, the links are changed.

View solution in original post
Psymøn
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 25
Message 1 of 171 (71,575 Views)

Re: Save a received Video Message?

You can use FVD Video Downloader extension for Chrome.

fvd.PNG

Open the Video message in Chrome, enter the code and download it. You can play the downloaded file with VLC media player.

svm.png

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6250
Message 2 of 171 (71,513 Views)

Tamim, I was not provided a web link of any kind. That means I don't know how to view my message in Chrome.

If you could tell me how to open my video message in Chrome, it would be really helpful.

Thanks for your response nevertheless!
Psymøn
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 171 (71,485 Views)

There are no links to Video messages on the latest Skype 6.5.0.158 version. The messages are displayed directly in Skype window. The links were only provided when Video messages were received on older Skype versions.

Actually, you don’t need to save these messages to your computer. You should be able to watch these Video messages in your Skype for the next 10 years. The only what you need to ensure is that the chat database file (main.db) is still intact and that you don’t delete any chat messages. You will find this file here:

C:\Users\your win user name\AppData\Roaming\Skype\your Skype name\main.db

This is a standard SQLite 3 database file and can be viewed with any SQLite browser. See e.g this:

http://community.skype.com/t5/The-Skype-Lounge/Mom-accidentally-deleted-all-my-contacts-HELP/m-p/615...

Links to Video messages are saved in the VideoMessages Table but they are not permanent. Each time you play the received message in your Skype, the links are changed.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6409
Message 4 of 171 (71,475 Views)

Psymøn,

You can uninstall current version of Skype from the control Panel and you can install beta version 6.5

http://www.filehippo.com/download_skype/14992/

and disable automatic updating of Skype.

In Skype, Tools >> Options >> Advanced >> Automatic updates >> Click on Turn off automatic updates >> Save Changes.

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6250
Message 5 of 171 (71,453 Views)

Installing Skype 6.5 beta will change nothing. There are no web links to Video messages provided in this beta version. Also in this version, the videos are played in Skype window.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 6 of 171 (71,423 Views)

Your suggestion was great, ruwim. I did it! I was initially getting a 401 - Unauthorized error when copying the vod path into Chrome, but I needed to play the Video Message and then pause it in the middle, THEN open up the main.db in the SQLite Browser so I can grab the current vod path. I copied that into Chrome and then saved it from there. Thank you so much ruwim, you have done me a great favor! If there is anything more than Accepting your reply as solution and giving you as much Kudos as I can, please let me know :bigsmile: Many thanks!!!

Psymøn
Casual Adventurer
Message 7 of 171 (71,405 Views)

Great :(y)::manvery-happy:

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 8 of 171 (71,389 Views)

This method works - SQLite browser to view main.db and look in "Browse Data" with the dropdown set to VideoMessages. Open link under vod path in an internet browser and save file. Excellent workaround!

user9238567257
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 5
Message 9 of 171 (71,245 Views)

Hey I cant find Appdate in my Users. what should I do?
alexshot4000
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 10 of 171 (70,641 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling