Running two Skype accounts on Windows 8

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Running two Skype accounts on Windows 8

Is there a way that I can run two Skype accounts on Windows 8 using the desktop and not Metro?  I know you could on previous Windows OS but not sure if or how I can do it now.

Bfielder
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 11 (16,752 Views)

Re: Running two Skype accounts on Windows 8

The procedure for the desktop version on Windows 8 is exactly the same as in the case of Windows 7. You should make a new shortcut with the "/secondary" switch.

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA829/how-can-i-run-two-skype-accounts-on-the-same-computer

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6314
Message 2 of 11 (16,735 Views)

Thanks for the response. I've done that and I tried both options.  Neither of which worked unfortunately.  Is there anything else that could be done?  Or is maybe something posted there incorrect?

Bfielder
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 11 (16,723 Views)

What is exactly the path you have entered in the Target field of the secondary shortcut?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 4 of 11 (16,717 Views)

The link that you posted above shows two different target paths.  I did the first one it didn't work and then I tried the second one and had no success either.

Bfielder
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 11 (16,710 Views)

You still have not posted what you have entered in the Target field, but the correct syntax is:

"C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe"  /secondary  (if your Windows is 32-bit)

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe"  /secondary  (if your Windows is 64-bit)

Remember an empty space in front of the /secondary switch!!

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 6 of 11 (16,699 Views)

Hey thanks for your patience.  I had accidentally skipped over something, but everything is good now.  Thanks again.

Bfielder
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 11 (16,691 Views)

You should install desktop version of skype. Check this video. I have managed to run one skype account in standard windows 8 app, and another account with desktop app. Pretty sure you can even run three of them creating a shortcut with /secondary switch.

wowzbites
Novel Tourist
Message 8 of 11 (15,708 Views)

The solution is simple... Simply download the old desktop version and carry on as normal. Skype and Microsoft seem to have completely come off the rails on this one.

I've gone back to the old version and I'm very happy....

brg11
Novel Tourist
Message 9 of 11 (12,563 Views)

Hi friend!

Its too simple please follow the below steps to open two skypes on Windows8. I use two skypes on my system by usin the below method.

Open your first Skype in a normal way(by double click or by Right click>open), Then to open another skype press the shift key by keeping it pressed right click on skype icon and click "Run as Adminstrator", this will open another skype on your system. Make sure you can't log in with same ID on both Skypes.

Husnain2
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 10 of 11 (5,633 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling