Running multiple skype accounts on 1 pc

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Running multiple skype accounts on 1 pc

I've read all the forums related to this. I've tried creating the shortcut with a new target with the /secondary command. And I have tried all the 3rd party apps. But when it launches I get the Disk I/O error. What am I doing wrong?

scorchedearth85
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 1 of 12 (52,093 Views)

Re: Running multiple skype accounts on 1 pc

[ Edited ]

1. The targets of your 2 shortcuts should look like this:

%programfiles%\skype\phone\skype.exe /secondary /username:FIRSTACCOUNT /password:FIRSTPASSWORD

%programfiles%\skype\phone\skype.exe /secondary /username:SECONDACCOUNT /password:SECONDPASSWORD

2. Clean your profiles folder of old temp files. You may do this by clicking Windows key + R, then paste DEL %appdata%\skype\temp*, then click OK.

3. In your TaskManager (or in ProcessExplorer), check that no instance of skype.exe is still running. Only after all skype.exe have terminated, start again your 2 Skype shortcuts.

De Dom en Kölle · Lösungen zu den häufigsten Problemen im Forum.
If you appreciate my efforts, please give me a Kudo: click on   + thumb-up ↘

Wenn du meine Bemühungen ok findest, gib mir bitte einen Kudo ↘
kicks-mobil
Explorer
Kudos: 624
Message 2 of 12 (51,840 Views)

Im sorry but I didnt understand a word of that

scorchedearth85
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 3 of 12 (51,827 Views)

[ Edited ]

scorchedearth85 wrote:

I've read all the forums related to this. I've tried creating the shortcut with a new target with the /secondary command. And I have tried all the 3rd party apps. But when it launches I get the Disk I/O error. What am I doing wrong?

Has Skype ever ran without the Disk I/O error? if so please do the below.

Stop Skype.

Using your Windows Control Panel do:

Internet Options -> Delete Button -> Delete Button

Start Skype.

NOTE: Please be very careful passing username and password, IMHO, I would not use this method, because anyone/anything that can view your running processes will be able to see your Skype name and password in the command line, such as things like "Process Explorer". So IMHO, I would only use the /secondary switch.

To create a shortcut on your desktop, simply right click in an area that is empty, choose New ->Shortcut In the location box simply enter exactly:

"C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /secondary

Note this assumes you have a 32 bit system and Windows is on your C: drive.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 797
Message 4 of 12 (51,817 Views)

Hi,

I had the same problem and thanks to a tip read from a skype forum I figured out what happened.

I had my pc on for long time and also my skype without quitting from it at all, using that instance of skype i logged in 2 different accounts and it seems that doing that that skype instance lock the data file of both account, if you quit totally from that skype killing it with task manager or right-click -> Quit the data folders are unlocked after that initiate your primarily skype log in with an account, then open the secondary skype and log in with the other account and vóila you have both accounts running.

I hope this works for you, at least worked for me =).

Kind Regards.

RcDABO
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 5 of 12 (51,525 Views)

scorchedearth85 wrote:

Please do a Skype reset:

1. Ensure that "Show hidden files and folders" is switched on.

Click Start and then Run Type "control folders" and click OK. In the View tab, ensure that Show hidden files and folders is enabled

2. Exit Skype : From the system tray >> right click on the skype icon and click "Quit Skype"

3. Click Start >> Run Type: %appdata% Rename folder "Skype" to "Old_Skype"

4. Re-run Skype

Also Refer:

Why do I get a Disk I/O error when I try to sign in to Skype?

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6871
Message 6 of 12 (51,004 Views)

Tamim wrote:

scorchedearth85 wrote:

Please do a Skype reset:

1. Ensure that "Show hidden files and folders" is switched on.

Click Start and then Run Type "control folders" and click OK. In the View tab, ensure that Show hidden files and folders is enabled

2. Exit Skype : From the system tray >> right click on the skype icon and click "Quit Skype"

3. Click Start >> Run Type: %appdata% Rename folder "Skype" to "Old_Skype"

4. Re-run Skype

Also Refer:

Why do I get a Disk I/O error when I try to sign in to Skype?

This is about running multiple copies of the Skype client, not disk errors.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 797
Message 7 of 12 (51,003 Views)

Elaine
Moderator icon
Kudos: 1625
Message 8 of 12 (46,007 Views)

Or you could leave the username in the shortcut and just omit the password, to save retyping the username each time:

Choose New ->Shortcut In the location box and enter this:

"C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /secondary /username:YOUR_SKYPE_NAME

oztonywhelan
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 9 of 12 (38,080 Views)

We have to two different approach to run skype once we can run skype run as a adminstrator & run multiple account in same window & other one is C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /secondary replace with your second skype path. I have suggested a article who demostrate fabulously How to Open Skype Multiple Account

Hope it will help best to all, if any more let me know.

Anjan-Kant
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 10 of 12 (9,169 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling