Re: Retrieve history under a different skype name

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Retrieve history under a different skype name

I desperately need to retreive a chat conversation I had last year.  My skype name last year was different than the skype name I now have.  I can't sign into skype using my older name because I don't remember the password I used back then. 

:mantongue:

How can I determine what my password was?  When I use the retrieve password option, it only returns my current skype name and the link to change that password. 

I'm pretty desperate to get to that older history -

If anyone can provide some assistance, I would be sooo grateful.

summergolfgal
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 3 (161 Views)

If you had this conversation on the same computer as you are now and if you have not deleted the other user folder, then you might be able to read this conversation.

Go to Windows Start and in the Search/Run box enter %appdata%\skype and press Enter or OK button. Windows File Explorer will popup. Locate there a folder with the name of the old Skype account. In this folder you should see a file with the name main.db. It might be shown as just “main” but with description Data Base File in the Type column. This is the file containing all your conversations made under the old Skype name on this computer.

You can’t access this file with Skype if you can’t login with the old user name, but you can do this using a free application – SkypeLogView.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/skype_log_view.html

Using SkypeLogView you can read any main.db file from any user account without using Skype.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 7358
Message 2 of 3 (154 Views)

Thank-you :happy:   - I'll give that a try.

summergolfgal
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 3 (148 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling