Removing contact from list

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Reply

Removing contact from list

I was wondering if anybody could explain to me what is visible to a removed contact on Skype?

 

I recently removed a user but did not block them first. I have seen many posts that say they should still able to see my online status - is this correct? I assumed that now they would see my profile picture as a question mark and "This user has not shared details with you."

 

If anyone could enlighten me it would be much appreciated!

brighteyes001
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Posts: 2
Registered: 05-07-2011
Message 1 of 16 (66,623 Views)

Re: Removing contact from list

Hello!

If you remove a contact from your list, they may able to see your profile information and picture if you set your profile to visible for everyone.

If you don't want your contacts you have removed to not see your profile information, you may try going to your privacy settings.

also want to tell you that Since you've removed a contact, they can't see your online status

Have a nice day
FCFirstClass
Reliable Adventurer
Kudos: 6
Posts: 39
Registered: 29-06-2011
Message 2 of 16 (66,611 Views)

Re: Removing contact from list

My profile information (picture,location etc) are all set to private. Will I still be on the person's contact list until they also remove me?

I take it if they hovered the mouse over my profile it would just say "This user has not shared details with you." and the profile pic would be the question mark??

brighteyes001
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Posts: 2
Registered: 05-07-2011
Message 3 of 16 (66,603 Views)

Re: Removing contact from list


brighteyes001 wrote:

I was wondering if anybody could explain to me what is visible to a removed contact on Skype?

 

I recently removed a user but did not block them first. I have seen many posts that say they should still able to see my online status - is this correct? I assumed that now they would see my profile picture as a question mark and "This user has not shared details with you."

 

If anyone could enlighten me it would be much appreciated!


in versions older than 4.x you would have had to block a previously authorized user to prevent them from seeing your online status (and other non-public profile details)

 

since version 4.x, removing someone from your contact list removes authorization to see your online status and non-public details -- as for whether they will be able to contact you, this will be determined by your privacy settings

Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 327
Posts: 4801
Registered: 27-06-2011
Message 4 of 16 (66,597 Views)

Re: Removing contact from list

Neil,

 

Since upgrading to Spype for Mac 5.0+, I've had an awful time trying to block certain unwanted callers. The "block contact" and "delete contact" menu choices are always grey, never accessible.

 

I can't find anything in support that addresses this. Can you help?

 

Thanks.

 

Bob

bobandelman
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Posts: 4
Registered: 06-07-2011
Message 5 of 16 (66,577 Views)

Re: Removing contact from list


bobandelman wrote:
Since upgrading to Spype for Mac 5.0+, I've had an awful time trying to block certain unwanted callers. The "block contact" and "delete contact" menu choices are always grey, never accessible.

 

I can't find anything in support that addresses this. Can you help?

 



sorry no, but you should be posting in the Mac forum, where it is more likely that someone can

Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 327
Posts: 4801
Registered: 27-06-2011
Message 6 of 16 (66,569 Views)

Re: Removing contact from list


in versions older than 4.x you would have had to block a previously authorized user to prevent them from seeing your online status (and other non-public profile details)

 

since version 4.x, removing someone from your contact list removes authorization to see your online status and non-public details -- as for whether they will be able to contact you, this will be determined by your privacy settings



Could you or sb. else please elaborate this? In which specific version number was the behaviour changed? Source?

 

And does that depend the client removing a contact entry, or does it depend on the client that is being removed from sb. elses contact list? That means, if I have a "new" client and remove someone, and this person is using a really old client, can he still see my status?

 

Bye

bsh7

bsh7
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Posts: 1
Registered: 10-07-2011
Message 7 of 16 (66,540 Views)

Re: Removing contact from list


bsh7 wrote:

Could you or sb. else please elaborate this? In which specific version number was the behaviour changed? Source?

 

And does that depend the client removing a contact entry, or does it depend on the client that is being removed from sb. elses contact list? That means, if I have a "new" client and remove someone, and this person is using a really old client, can he still see my status?

 




the original behaviour ended when version 4 was introduced iirc

 

if you remove a contact using a newer client, and the contact being removed is using an old client, they still won't be able to see your online status or non-public details -- it is as if you had never added them to your contact list in the first place

Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 327
Posts: 4801
Registered: 27-06-2011
Message 8 of 16 (66,534 Views)

Re: Added Contact in Error

Here's the thing, while checking out names of people I know for potential contact requests I accidentally hit a Favorites star and the person I think was sent a Contact request. I know they haven't viewed that request yet and I want to know that if I just remove them from my Favorites and Contacts List will that remove any Contact request sent as well.

pjkilpat
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Posts: 2
Registered: 05-04-2013
Message 9 of 16 (45,803 Views)

Re: Added Contact in Error

I doubt that accidentally hitting the Favorites star sends a Contact request

adding them to your Contact list does, and it should be obvious that you did because you are presented with a default greeting to use and you send with another click

I don't think removing them from your Contact list will cancel the Contact request that was previously sent, but removing them from your Contact list WILL prevent them from seeing your non-public profile details and your online status, even if they accept your Contact request
Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 327
Posts: 4801
Registered: 27-06-2011
Message 10 of 16 (45,786 Views)
Reply

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling