Removing Skype from my Registry.

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Removing Skype from my Registry.

I had the latest version of Skype but am fed up with the Home screen popping up all the time. I tried to go to an old version ( but that did not work. I am fed up and now want to remove Skype from my computer entirely. However I am having a problem trying to remove the registry key;

HKCU\Software\Skype

I get an error trying to diable the key.

I have used Regedit and Regedt32 but to no avail even though I am logged in as the Administrator. I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit. I have tried reinstalling the current version but get a message saying;

---------------------------
Error
Could not open key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER32\Software\Skype\Phone\UI.   Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.
OK  

Then;

----------------------------------------

Installing Skype failed; Code 1603

A fatal error occured during installation.

----------------------------------------

Yes I have the rights I'm logged in as Administrator and I am a IT guy to boot. Do you have a Regisrty removal tool so I can fix this hideous problem with Skype! No more! I want to remove all traces of Skype from my machine. I'd rather use Google Chat as it is less annoying and NO pop-ups!.

Thanks,

Geekster

Geekster
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 1 of 15 (14,017 Views)

Re: Removing Skype from my Registry.

Please make sure that as impossible as it seems that there is no Skype.exe running, you can do this by starting the Windows Task Manager keyboard keys all at once CTRL ALT DEL, click the processese tab, we need to make sure that there are no running Skpe.exe processes or SkypeSetup...exe running processes, if ou see any please select then, and click the "End Process" button for each of them.

NOTE: Revo creates a restore point and does a full registry backup as well, automatically.

Please install this, please note that you will need to copy/paste the link below into the browser window of your choice:

revouninstaller.com

Once Revo is installed, if it did not start, please start it.

From the Revo main window please do:

Commands -> Forced Uninstall

Please make sure the Advanced Radio Button is checked.

Next in the "Programs Exact Name" please enter:

Please click the next button. Note it can take some time for this to complete.

Once completed, please press the "Scan" button to look for anything that might still be left over from prior Skype installs.

Please click the "Select All" button, and then the "Delete" button.

You may be presented with files and flolders left over, again, Please click the "Select All" button, and then the "Delete" button.

Please Exit Revo and Reboot.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 1615
Message 2 of 15 (13,927 Views)

Nope that program removed a few entries in the registry but I still have HKCU\Software\Skype\Phone\UI.

Revo can't uninstall that. I have the program removed and Im just trying to remove all traces from the registry. As long as that entry remains in the registry I can not install Skype.

Geekster
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 15 (13,908 Views)

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 1615
Message 4 of 15 (13,888 Views)

I simply used Regedit and searched for any key whose name contained "skype." Then I deleted them. There were about 40 of them that Windows uninstaller left behind.

Boston_Fred
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 5 of 15 (13,884 Views)

It should be it did not.
Geekster
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 15 (13,869 Views)

Yes but if you read the original post Regedit did remove but gave an error message instead.
Geekster
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 15 (13,866 Views)

hey, I was wondering if you were able to solve this issue with uninstalling skype completely - i am getting the same error as well ... so annoying ... 

deafwing
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 8 of 15 (12,934 Views)

Re: Removing Skype from my Registry +

I also need big help with this. Although my problem exists because i used windows troubleshooting, and it asked me if i wanted to use skype using reccomended settings and i was an idiot and said yes. Now it won't run on startup, it doesn't stay open when i hit the exit button, and it doesn't display W7 Aero windows. Would wiping my registry of this foul program do any good?

mcbaine42
Novel Tourist
Message 9 of 15 (12,894 Views)

i just installed 5.8.0.154 but had a bit of trouble with the appearance of some of the skype screens. I reinstalled and had the same problem. Uninstalled and used TuneUp 2012 utilities to clean my registry. This gave a solution to my problem.

lazza
Novel Tourist
Message 10 of 15 (12,888 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling