Removed messages

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Removed messages

Hi

on tuesday evening I had an instant messaging chat with a friend, my settings permenantly keep my history.....however in this conversation most of the comments from the other side say they have been removed.....why is this possible when my history is set to keep my history and can the text be restored for my history ?

eclair244
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 11 (12,318 Views)

Re: Removed messages

As far as I know the sender can delete a message within 1 hour period and you can do nothing on your side to recover the deleted messages.
ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6827
Message 2 of 11 (12,200 Views)

Thanks, 

that sounds a little odd, like someone changing the wording of a contract once you have signed it, I think once it has been read it should be locked down....hey ho

eclair244
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 11 (12,192 Views)

[ Edited ]

eclair244 wrote:

odd like someone changing the wording of a contract once you have signed it

Veto!

You would get insane if every word was taken as final and valid for eternity, as is exceptionally assumed in a contract. Oral language is fuzzy and tentative by nature. Words are said and meant under the silent reservation that they may be elaborated, modified or revised. oral language by nature is work in progress.

Artificial systems like textchat that suggest to be kind of substitute for oral communication do very well to provide at least a partial deletion. They would even do better to leave out that crutch of "logging" at all.

(Quite different is a context where the progress of communication itself shall be reflected afterwards. Here you need a tool that includes details, timing and context. For such a purpose, "chat history" is worthless. You need capturing of the whole desktop like a movie. There are fully developped solutions available, in the first place Techsmith Camtasia.)

De Dom en Kölle · Lösungen zu den häufigsten Problemen im Forum.
If you appreciate my efforts, please give me a Kudo: click on   + thumb-up ↘

Wenn du meine Bemühungen ok findest, gib mir bitte einen Kudo ↘
kicks-mobil
Explorer
Kudos: 639
Message 4 of 11 (12,184 Views)

ruwim wrote:
As far as I know the sender can delete a message within 1 hour period and you can do nothing on your side to recover the deleted messages.

Yes, in 1 to 1 chats, the sender has 1 hour to edit or remove the message. This is not from the time the message was delivered, it is from the time the message was sent.

In multi-chats/group chats the creator and masters ("The creator elevated their role in the chat") can edit/remove a message at anytime.

You can also use a IP Camera as your camera for Skype video Example Instructions
TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 501
Message 5 of 11 (12,168 Views)

I think this feature exists mainly to allow people to take back what they might not have wanted to say after thinking about it for 2 seconds (as in, when you send something w.o really thinking about it, first). : ) For personal dialogues, this is useful. I was wondering if deleted IMs I have sent (but not yet rec'd) were visible on the other side -  you just answered that question. For business reasons, I can see this being a problem if you're using skype dialogue for a contract ag. You might want to check on the legality of using a skype IM convo as a verbal agreement of something. I know emails are perfectly valid in a court of law because they're traceable whether someone tries to delete them, or a part of them, or not. Not sure how skype convo's are handled in a court of law, though.

bigeyes
Casual Adventurer
Message 6 of 11 (11,762 Views)

i

on tuesday evening I had an instant messaging chat with a friend, my settings permenantly keep my history.....however in this conversation most of the comments from the other side say they have been removed.....why is this possible when my history is set to keep my history and can the text be restored for my history ?
ajithasha235
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 11 (8,700 Views)

ajithasha235 wrote:
i

Your contact can delete his/her messages within 1 hour frame. These messages will be shown as deleted on your side.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Kudos: 6827
Message 8 of 11 (8,695 Views)

Hello

I have send by mistake a contact from my list to somebody and i want to delete it from there.

How can i do it?

ralu.32
Novel Tourist
Message 9 of 11 (1,408 Views)

There is no option in Skype to retract a sent contact/contact list.  Once it's sent, it's sent.

techfreak
Community Ambassador
Kudos: 1608
Message 10 of 11 (1,404 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling