Recently been experiencing "Pop-up" Ads, Plus Fake...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Recently been experiencing "Pop-up" Ads, Plus Fake "Anti-Virus" Trojan

I recently been experiencing pop-up ads with skype. This is about the 5th time I've experienced this within the week, and the 3rd time I've had Norton catch the fake anti-virus program pop-up from Skype. The weird thing is whenever this "ad" loads, it's a blank ad on skype, but seems to cause the pop-up once it switches from the one Ad to this.

I'm assuming this has more so to do with the Ad servers Skype gets their ads from. I really hope you guys can look into this.

Looking at my history, it appears this link may or may not be the one in question (though there were two of these with two different links).

I would NOT recommend anyone clicking this link but I'm providing it for the skype people in hopes they can somehow get rid of this.

http://wed322d2.qwindowsdefender.nl/index.php?key=6f31a14def75eafb70d25e495daf1412

AGAIN, I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE TO CLICK THAT LINK AS IT'S SIMPLY THERE FOR THE SKYPE MODERATION TEAM TO LOOK AT AND REPORT.

I really hope skype can look into this asap, because I'm afraid one of these times, my anti-virus is not going to catch this.  Thanks in advance.

Mendinso
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 20 (2,797 Views)

Re: Recently been experiencing "Pop-up" Ads, Plus Fake "Anti-Virus" Trojan

I have been experiencing the same thing this week ending 2/1/2014.  It is very annoying. My son uses Skype all the time. Fortunately he thought to let me know when he first saw the window.

windnbiodiesel
Novel Tourist
Message 2 of 20 (2,757 Views)

Yeah, I just got a similar pop up in Google Chrome that ended up as a "500 Internal Server Error".. Sounds like malware/spyware to me..

DrewbehHD
Novel Tourist
Message 3 of 20 (2,726 Views)

Yep, me too, as soon as I started up Skype. They need to fix this pronto.

ubdu
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 4 of 20 (2,681 Views)

Try blocking the site from your router and frequently check your downloads folder.  I recommend Malware-Bytes Anti-Malware, just incase this is a virus.  (Norton is an awful anti-virus)

So just do some checking with some AV's.  I scanned, nothing happened.

Seems to be a failing pop-up.

So just block it from your router.

Spoiler
:tongue:
leafboom
Novel Tourist
Message 5 of 20 (2,671 Views)

I am experiencing the same thing.

I wonder if this is malware distributed by Skype....?

AuthEx
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 20 (2,606 Views)

I have just had exactly the same thing, firing up the site

http://wed322d2.qwindowsdefender.nl/  in my browser (chrome)

but it hits a 500 server error in my case.

spgnz
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 20 (2,601 Views)

Same here, hope it gets removed, it's annoying...

SharpTheDemon
Casual Tourist
Message 8 of 20 (2,411 Views)

My skype client just updated (After over a month of not using it) and upon opening the same URL opened for me (Well, a different key variable).

mbaxter
Novel Tourist
Message 9 of 20 (2,399 Views)

this has also been happening to me, and if avast hadn't blocked it it would've been bad. so forreal y'alls better fix this. i got the same link and googled it because i wasn't sure what it was from, but it makes sense now that this was also the cause of the blocked malware from a few days ago too.
honedge
Novel Tourist
Message 10 of 20 (2,249 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling