Re: Question about skype when using built in micro...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Accepted Solution

Question about skype when using built in microphone and speakers

Hi there =) 

the question that I have is this, 

Does skype filter out all the noise that comes out of the speakers and goes into the microphone so that basicly if you are playing a game on like a laptop and on skype and have the game fairly loud, will it filter out the game noise but keep your voice so poeple dont hear your game? 

Thank you 

Accepted Solution

by Neil

Skype includes sophisticated echo cancellation logic that will virtually eliminate the echo that the person you are talking to would normally hear of their own voice if you are using external speakers rather than a headset

normally the voice of the other party would have a tendency to feed into your microphone and travel back to the other person (with some delay due to round trip time), and this can be quite disconcerting

this echo cancellation logic will have no effect on ambient sound in your room (including non-Skype sound emanating from your external speakers)

the directionality and sensitivity of your microphone will also have a direct effect on how much ambient sound is picked up and heard by the other party, and some microphones have their own general noise cancellation technology

View solution in original post
Arcella
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 1 of 11 (5,115 Views)

Re: Question about skype when using built in microphone and speakers

no
Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 822
Message 2 of 11 (5,104 Views)

oh ok, I had a friend tell me that it knows what the computer is palying out of the speakers and so it runs a filter so that everything the computer plays is not picked up on skype, 

I suspected that it was speculation..... however I did run some tests just now and I ran spotify on my computer while calling my ipad in the other room and played the music abnormally loud and barely hear it on the ipad and then I did the same thing but instead of the music coming out of the same computer it was coming from a cd player and same thing..... so does skype do anything to filter out background noise ? or is it the microphone that does it?

Arcella
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 11 (5,096 Views)

[ Edited ]

Skype includes sophisticated echo cancellation logic that will virtually eliminate the echo that the person you are talking to would normally hear of their own voice if you are using external speakers rather than a headset

normally the voice of the other party would have a tendency to feed into your microphone and travel back to the other person (with some delay due to round trip time), and this can be quite disconcerting

this echo cancellation logic will have no effect on ambient sound in your room (including non-Skype sound emanating from your external speakers)

the directionality and sensitivity of your microphone will also have a direct effect on how much ambient sound is picked up and heard by the other party, and some microphones have their own general noise cancellation technology

Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Message 4 of 11 (5,087 Views)

Awesome, thank you very much Neil for the answer =) 

Arcella
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 11 (5,083 Views)

you're welcome
Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Message 6 of 11 (5,078 Views)

I hear my contac but he does not hear me!

bertnasse1
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 7 of 11 (4,261 Views)

NormanM
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 1227
Message 8 of 11 (2,946 Views)

please how was the problem resolved
boateng-christi
Novel Adventurer
Message 9 of 11 (1,271 Views)

please i have a problem with my microphone
my friends cant hear me when i talk
i used the headset at first when talkin to my friend but afterwards i cant seem to be the problem.
my headset is spoilt so am not using it and because of that i am not able to talk on skype without the microphone because my friends cant hear me.
please help me. i ve tried everything i was told to but nothing. please. thanks
boateng-christi
Novel Adventurer
Message 10 of 11 (1,267 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling