QUIT SKYPE - Menu Selection

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

QUIT SKYPE - Menu Selection

please put an Quit Skype menu option to both

TaskBar - rightClik menu

and

TopLeft SKYPE menu

-

each time - I wanted to close -quit skype, I quit from SYSTRAY icon.

it should be easy to quit as I was addicted to.

thank you.

kagan
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 11
Message 1 of 79 (53,780 Views)

Ways to Quit Skype

[ Edited ]

Hi!  :happy:

Windows 7 and Skype version 5.5.0.112/113.  There are at least 4 ways to Quit Skype.

1.  System Tray

I think by default, Skype is set to be in the hidden system tray icons section.  Users can change it so it will appear as a visible icon in the system tray via the Start Menu Properties option.

Sometimes, the Skype icon be default will not appear in the visible section of the system tray. Users just need to click the small arrow to reveal the Skype icon along with other hidden system tray icons.  

the image

Users can also set the Skype icon to be always visible in their system tray through the Taskbar and Start Menu Properties section.

the image

2.  Taskbar

3.  Start Menu

4.  Run Command

("C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /shutdown)  quotes included 

5.  Create a Shortcut (Recommended)

A. Right-click on any blank portion on your desktop, then select New >> New Shortcut

B. In the Type The Location of the Item box, enter "C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /shutdown (including quotes), then click Next.

C. Enter Skype Shutdown as the name of the Shortcut, click Finish.

D.  You can simply click that shortcut whenever you want to quit Skype (right-click on the shortcut icon then select Properties), or even assign a hotkey.  For example, you can set Control + Alt + 1 as hotkey to easily quit Skype.

the image

If all else fails, This can also be done via Task Manager.

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1421
Message 2 of 79 (53,603 Views)

Re: QUIT SKYPE - Menu Selection

I agree, have used Skype for 5 years and since I updated I lost the QUIT option. I dont go to the task bar to get out of other applications and I dont want Skype always running in my background. Maybe this is related to Microsoft buying Skype? That seems like the kind of stuff MS does to it's users. I pay quite a bit per month to use Skype and I want my QUIT button!!!! There will be other services and if they don't give us our quit button back I hope another service comes along and replaces them. Reading this chain of comments is frustrating, THERE IS NO **bleep** QUIT BUTTON, is that simple enough that a developer can understand it now!!!! We are not morons out here.
charliefrohman
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 19
Message 3 of 79 (53,354 Views)

Re: Ways to Quit Skype

These are all viable ways to quit Skype except for the second option.  Like many other people, the taskbar option of quitting Skype is no longer there.  With the newest version, there are only options to close window, pin, and skype.  I personally think that a quit button option should be implemented into the home screen somewhere. 

Thanks for your help!!

HalfMental
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 3
Message 4 of 79 (53,321 Views)

#2 and #3 and not available on my system.  I'm wondering if one or two cases are unintended (i.e. bugs). If we have a bug here, how do I report a bug to Skype?

Side comment about Windows 7 - apparently there are now THREE presentations of programs on the taskbar (!(@#&(@&*):

First, hovering over the entry (no quit icon here):

Note, I uploaded images showing the absence of "Quit", but whenever I try to Preview or Post I get the following message:

The message body contains http[colon-slash-slash]community[dot].skype[dot]com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/2928i8357728AE4C13EE0/image-size/original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1, which is not permitted in this community. Please remove this content before sending your post.

Next, right click on the taskbar:

[image I can't post]

I think this one might be a bug - maybe Skype displays "quit" with Aero but not with Windows Classic?  Or maybe I have a slightly newer version of Skype.

Finally, no "quit" on "Shift - Right Click" (the Skype "System menu"):

[image I can't post]

Before I updated from 5.3 to 5.5 I DID see quit on one or two of these.

Bottom line, I have to scan through a field of 20+ tiny little icons, right click, select quit, THEN confirm my intent to quit.  I don't like this at all; Skype is not my friend.

[image of my numerous systray icons - that i can't post]

CornanTheIowan
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 5 of 79 (53,312 Views)

[ Edited ]

A free suggestion to the developers of Skype:

File -> Exit

That's how ~100% of software developed for the Windows platform implements a quit. For the end user it has the benefit of quickly finding how to quit the application, and for the company (Skype) it will limit a lot of support (like this thread). So it's a win-win situation if you added a File -> Exit in a later release.

far2fish
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 21
Message 6 of 79 (53,249 Views)

Re: QUIT SKYPE - Menu Selection

I hate when program companies try to be tricky.
ml
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 8
Message 7 of 79 (53,240 Views)

[ Edited ]

Since Skype updated itself to 5.5.0.114, Quit has been removed from the right-click menu on the Taskbar, which is what I always used up to this, and does not appear on the Start menu (Options #2 & #3). 

Options #4 & #5: I should not have to add an extra shortcut to my desktop or use the command-line interface to close down Skype; I'm using Windows not DOS or UNIX!

Option #6. It is normally only malware that has to be removed using the Task Manager. 

That just leaves Option #1.

All well-behaved Windows programs allow you to quit from within the program window.  This could be an option on the Menubar, on the Skype dropdown menu or on the Skype logo dropdown menu, or preferably all three.  I despair for my profession that there are still programmers, even in modern companies, who show so little consideration for their users.

riochm
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 12
Message 8 of 79 (52,965 Views)

As a software developer this baffles me.

While those are 'valid' ways of quitting Skype, they certainly are not user friendly or inline with windows usability standards.

By removing classic user understood and expected ways of closing an application, you frustrate and alienate users. 

Skype is clearly going out of its way to make exiting it software more difficult to try and keep users logged in.

Silvamord
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 14
Message 9 of 79 (52,908 Views)

[ Edited ]

The Quit methods 1 -3 above have been depreciated and no longer work.  The rest do work, plus you can create a bat file per post below, but the shortcut method is prettier.

An explaination of why the quit button has been depreciated can be found at:

Support Network
➝
English
➝
Computer
➝
Windows
➝
➝
Reply to Message

0 Kudos
chorse
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 4
Message 10 of 79 (52,627 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling