Problem with playback device

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Accepted Solution

Problem with playback device

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right board, but hopefully someone can help me out. Since today, whenever I have tried calling someone, the call drops out before it can even ring and says "problem with playback device". I have upgraded my graphics driver (AMD) and I've uninstalled and reinstalled skype. I'm using Windows 7 on a Compaq Presario CQ43 and I'm at a loss for what to try next. I can't even call the echo/sound test service. My speakers/mic/cam all work fine, so what should I do?

Thanks,

Stevie

steviejacobs
Novel Adventurer

Accepted Solution

Don't worry, I fixed the problem by going to HP's support website and downloading the latest audio driver!
View solution in original post
steviejacobs
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 87
Message 1 of 109 (245,407 Views)

Re: Problem with playback device

Don't worry, I fixed the problem by going to HP's support website and downloading the latest audio driver!
steviejacobs
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 87
Message 2 of 109 (245,398 Views)

I spend half my day on Skype talking to customers all over the world. This morning I tried to go on and it wont work. Says problem with playback device?

How can I fix that? I need to make calls soon. Help!!

Thanks

Tom

temccann
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 34
Message 3 of 109 (245,117 Views)

The message you're getting indicates that Skype is having trouble with what is selected in Tools > Options > Audio Settings > Speakers.  What do you see in the Speakers box there?

If you click on the green test button next to the Speakers box, do you hear the test sound?

Click on the pull down arrow next to the Speakers box.  If you have any other choices showing there, select them one at a time and with each selected, try the test button to see if the sound works.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 1393
Message 4 of 109 (245,111 Views)

I hope the you fix the problem soon thank you for your time
majdiaburahmeh
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 6
Message 5 of 109 (243,344 Views)

steviejacobs wrote:

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right board, but hopefully someone can help me out. Since today, whenever I have tried calling someone, the call drops out before it can even ring and says "problem with playback device". I have upgraded my graphics driver (AMD) and I've uninstalled and reinstalled skype. I'm using Windows 7 on a Compaq Presario CQ43 and I'm at a loss for what to try next. I can't even call the echo/sound test service. My speakers/mic/cam all work fine, so what should I do?

Thanks,

Stevie

Casual Tourist
Kudos: 7
Message 6 of 109 (238,702 Views)

Hi,

I am experiencing the same problem with skype this morning that is discussed already on this forum.  I have went to Tools > Options > Audio Settings > Speakers but I can't find a solution to the problem.  What do I do now?  I have pressed the test button but cannot hear anything.  I have tried to call the test call and although it attempts to connect, the call is cancelled before I get to test my speakers/headset.

My headset was working fine yesterday and I haven't done anything that would cause it to change since I used it last. 

Can you please let me know how to get skype working again?

Thank you

fitnutltd
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 10
Message 7 of 109 (237,231 Views)

i had that too. i switched out my main computer box and had to re download skype after a few months and i just tried it out with the same stuff i had before which was working and it said Problem with playback device and i will reply back if i get info from other places. i hope you get some info.
beth75664
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 6
Message 8 of 109 (236,564 Views)

Click on Tools > Options > Audio settings.   If clicking on the green test button to the right of the Speakers box produces no sound, click on the pull down arrow next to the speakers box.

If there are any other choices showing, click on each of them one at a time.  After selecting each choice, click again on the green test button to see if any of the available options produce the test sound.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 1393
Message 9 of 109 (236,488 Views)

Just make sure your speakers are connected properly ... no matter about cam and mic.

samjee
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 3
Message 10 of 109 (236,256 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling