Pause option when dialing

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Pause option when dialing

I realize this has been beaten to death on the previous forum, but is there ever going to be the option to add a pause when dialing?  I'd say a quarter of my contacts have extensions that are dialed after the auto attendants pick up and I just use "," for a pause to then dial extension numbers.  This is a deal breaker for me if I can't get this to work or find some work around.  It will just be easier to use my cell when working remotely and deal with the poor call quality or find another service that supports this.  I really did a double take when I searched for "Pause" in the forums and found nothing on this.

hokiebates
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 25
Message 1 of 73 (7,900 Views)

Re: Pause option when dialing

Completely agree.  Skype needs the ability to enter pauses, *'s, and #'s into the number string!!  This is basic stuff people!

hyperkurt
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 10
Message 2 of 73 (7,863 Views)

please identify a VOIP service that supports this
Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 425
Message 3 of 73 (7,856 Views)

Please Skype, add the pause character and other options like entering in numbers.

kirkbrust
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 5
Message 4 of 73 (7,839 Views)

If this isn't a feature supported by other VOIP services, then sounds like a nice opportunity for Skype to differentiate!

This really is an important (missing) feature for business use. I'm constantly having to copy and paste extension numbers into the Skype's keypad -- and then, typically, RE-TYPE them because there's not enough gap between the number tones for Skype to recognize the number.

lumedawg
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 10
Message 5 of 73 (7,777 Views)

lumedawg wrote:
I'm constantly having to copy and paste extension numbers into the Skype's keypad -- and then, typically, RE-TYPE them because there's not enough gap between the number tones for Skype to recognize the number.

first of all, it's not Skype that is having trouble recognizing the numbers -- it is the far end system

second, the timing issue is well-known and the problem is that the timing requirements vary from one receiving system to another -- in other words, your results may vary from carrier to carrier, and it is very difficult to come up with a system that supports ALL phone systems around the world

lastly, the tone duration and inter-character delay has nothing to do with the topic of this thread

Regards,
Neil
0 Kudos
Neil
Super Adventurer
Message 6 of 73 (7,774 Views)

Neil,

My old Avaya softphone has support for these characters in the address book.

In my work I attend a lot of conference calls where you have an 800 number, then a string of characters. I setup all of them in the Avaya softphone with pauses and rarely had a problem.

I'd love the ability to do this in Skype, as it would make dialing in a lot less painful then either looking up or remembering a long string of digits.

Thanks.

vox9000
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 8
Message 7 of 73 (7,765 Views)

vox9000 wrote:

Neil,

My old Avaya softphone has support for these characters in the address book.

you are the only person that has ever identified a competing voip service that supported pauses in dialstrings, but I don't work for Skype, so we will all just have to wait and see

Regards,
Neil
0 Kudos
Neil
Super Adventurer
Message 8 of 73 (7,761 Views)

Niel,

There is no problem with a timing issue.  I don't know what you mean by that it is "well known".  From way back in the modem days, I'm talking about in the 80's, an option for a dialing string was to insert a comma.  I don't remember how many seconds, but it was a Hayes standard.  If the pause wasn't long enough, you simple entered 2 commas.

iJackLive
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 9 of 73 (7,749 Views)

iJackLive wrote:

Niel,

There is no problem with a timing issue.  I don't know what you mean by that it is "well known".  From way back in the modem days, I'm talking about in the 80's, an option for a dialing string was to insert a comma.  I don't remember how many seconds, but it was a Hayes standard.  If the pause wasn't long enough, you simple entered 2 commas.

there is no way for you to know if there is a timing issue with touchtones or not

hayes commands are for analog modems on dialup lines

this is VOIP

apples and oranges!!!

Regards,
Neil
0 Kudos
Neil
Super Adventurer
Message 10 of 73 (7,747 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling