PLEASE HELP! Can't find main.db file or chat histo...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

PLEASE HELP! Can't find main.db file or chat history anywhere...

Hi,

I'm desperately trying to recover old conversation history, from maybe as much as 18 months ago. I understand I need to use the main.db file for this, though I cannot find it anywhere on my computer in the skype folders.

I've downloaded skypelogview and am ready to go, but have hit a brick wall!

To clarify, I recently used a post on this community to reinstall skype following some connectivity issues, and so when searching the apps folder in program data, I have two folders, one named login, and one login1. Neither have a main.db file!

I would be so grateful of any help with this.

Cheers

darren_
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 8 (10,825 Views)

Re: PLEASE HELP! Can't find main.db file or chat history anywhere...

Your main.db files would be contained under:  %appdata%\Skype\YourSkypeName

%appdata%\Skype generally translates to:  C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Skype

So be sure to browse to this location to retrieve the file.

techfreak
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 1091
Message 2 of 8 (10,813 Views)

Hey, thanks so much for your reply.

I've checked that exact location and there's not even a skype sub-folder.

I've also searched my whole C drive, and there's no file titled main.db

I'm lost! But I really need this conversation history, for visa reasons...

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again

darren_
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 8 (10,803 Views)

If you have a working copy of Skype for Windows Desktop and you currently are using it, you will definitely have a main.db file and %appdata%/Skype folder unless you are using some extremely old version of Skype or a portable edition.  If they have been deleted then they would be gone permanently.  You may be able to have your contact send you a copy of their main.db file so you can recover this information.  The only other option you can do is contact Skype Customer Service to see if they may have some limited information available, but I believe you will be hard pressed to get anything 18 months old.

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA1170

Be sure to follow the "Continue Support Request" links to avoid circling back to the Community on this issue.

techfreak
Community Ambassador
Message 4 of 8 (10,796 Views)

So somehow, I have now managed to locate the main.db file!

However, I am still having problems, though this may now be more of an issue with skypelogviewer.

I have three main.db files, and three main.db-journal files. When I open them up on logviewer, I only get a break down from 17th-27th September (this could be the date that I re-installed skype, as I mentioned above).

When logviewer opens, it asks me which files to look at, and I choose the filename;

C:\Users\mike\AppData\Roaming\Skype\my skype username

However, my username and login details did not change after the reinstall, so how do I force logviewer to show me the older, pre-reinstall entries?

Apologies for my technical ineptitude, and thanks again!

darren_
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 8 (10,791 Views)

C:\Users\mike\AppData\Roaming\Skype\my skype username\main.db  is only one file.  If you load that up then there is not other files to reference.  You will need to find another existing main.db file on your system if it exists.  I don't Skype as much as some people but my current main.db which is 2 years old (minus the 6 months I had this computer offline until I repaired it) has a file size of 21MB vs. 300kB.  The size of the main.db file can give you an idea whether you are looking at an older main.db file or a newly created one.  The only reason my main.db file is not larger is because I reloaded my windows (32-bit to 64-bit) without transplanting my old main.db file.  Luckily I backup my systems before I do a reload and I can find older main.db files from many years ago that contain the information I might need.

techfreak
Community Ambassador
Message 6 of 8 (10,786 Views)

darren_ wrote:

Hi,

I'm desperately trying to recover old conversation history, from maybe as much as 18 months ago. I understand I need to use the main.db file for this, though I cannot find it anywhere on my computer in the skype folders.

I've downloaded skypelogview and am ready to go, but have hit a brick wall!

To clarify, I recently used a post on this community to reinstall skype following some connectivity issues, and so when searching the apps folder in program data, I have two folders, one named login, and one login1. Neither have a main.db file!

I would be so grateful of any help with this.

Cheers

What exactly did you do when you have reinstalled Skype? Have you renamed the %appdata%\Skype folder or have you completely deleted this folder?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Kudos: 5947
Message 7 of 8 (10,779 Views)

C:\Users\<<UserNameYouWantSee>>\AppData\Roaming\Skype

MaxStanG
Novel Tourist
Message 8 of 8 (7,971 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling