Re: One machine not showing the past couple months...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

One machine not showing the past couple months of conversation history

Some of my recent history for all contacts has been lost on one machine (where a lot of it originally occurred) but it's there on my other machine. I tried signing out and existing and reopening and signing back in and that didn't help. I did check for updates and it says I have the most current version. It was all showing up okay on this machine a week ago.

I apparently have nothing showing since mid to late September. For all contacts.

I know to show older messages with "7 days" or "30 days "etc. So that's not it. And I did not at any time choose "Hide Conversation." In fact, I'm seeing "older" communications, but not the more recent ones.

Separately, I got an email earlier today from Skype saying someone left me a voice message, but that voice message actually occurred about a week ago (and is one of the things not showing in the history). It's probably unrelated, or maybe they system is undergoing changes -- or is just going haywire.

I'm thinking the only thing left is to reinstall Skype, in which case my question is whether to uninstall first -- unless someone has some other ideas.

But even if that works, I'd still like to know "why" or "how" this happened so I can watch out for it or avoid it in the future. It's bad not to know people communicated with me or to be able to see the history.

Thanks!

Sailor222
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 11 (165 Views)

Re: One machine not showing the past couple months of conversation history

For some odd reasons your chat database may become corrupted. All your chat history is saved locally on your computer in the main.db database file.

Go to Windows Start and in the Search/Run box type %appdata%\skype, press Enter or OK button. You should see now the Skype settings folder and within it a folder with your Skype user name. Open this folder. In this folder you should see this main.db file (the name may just say main, but with Data base description in the Type column). If you also can see a file with the name main.db-corrupted, then this means that your chat database file was corrupted, and this might be the reason for not seeing messages.

You can also download this free application – SkypeLogView

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/skype_log_view.html

With SkypeLogView you can open any main.db file and see which chat and call data are available there.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6375
Message 2 of 11 (154 Views)

I have nothing unusual for the database files as far as I can see, and the log file shows no entries from mid-September through until a few days ago.

As soon as I saw that, I realized what the problem is.

I restored this machine from backup last week. The backup I used was a full-system image from mid-September. I had recent copies of all "user data" files, so I knew this would be fine to do.

Obviously, the database file is the problem, since it's locally stored.

What should I do now? I have current database/log files on my office machine. Should I just copy one or more over to the home computer where I have the gap due to having restored from backup? Or should I somehow have the database rebuilt locally and, if so, how? I have no problem uninstalling and reinstalling the app altogether if that's the simplest thing to do. Whatever you say to do is fine with me. Just keep in mind I'm running a mission-critical business, so I want to do whatever will be most clean, reliable, and stable moving forward into the future.

Thanks very much!

Jay

Sailor222
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 11 (145 Views)

It’s easy to replace one main.db database file with another. However, if you want to merge 2 different main.db files, then this may require some specialized software.

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-desktop-client/Can-I-merge-skype-chat-history-between-my-old-c...

I have never tried this software, it’s up to you to try.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 4 of 11 (139 Views)

Wait a second. Is there any reason to want to merge the two together? Doesn't this stuff sync together somehow? Well, I guess not exactly sync or the home machine would have updated to match the office machine. What I mean is when activity takes place on one machine that activity goes into the log file on the other machine that also has the account installed, doesn't it?

In other words, I should be able to just copy the main.db file from my office machine to my home machine and that's it, and it should include the activity that took place on the home machine. Right?

It appears to. So, that's the straightforward solution then, right? No point in even thinking about merging, correct?

If so, should I also copy over the main.db-journal file, too?

And this is so smooth that there's no need to think about an uninstall and reinstall of the app to build a new history file, correct? Or would that be the best way to proceed for reliable and stable?

Thanks again!

Sailor222
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 11 (134 Views)

Uninstalling/reinstalling will do exactly nothing.

If you replace the main.db file on your home computer with the one from the office computer, then you will only be able to access the chat messages that were saved on the office computer. You will loos all the messages that you had on the home computer.

You cannot rely on syncing of messages. There is no central storage of Skype messages and the only syncing process is between two Skype devices currently being logged in to the network.

In any case, whatever you will decide to do, make always a copy of the currently used main.db file, so you will be able to revert the changes.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 6 of 11 (133 Views)

I see what you mean. (I guess you've had plenty of requests to create a central cloud-based syncing system so all devices get fully updated whenever they log on. So, well, add my vote if it will matter.)

Copying over the main.db file can't hurt since I had no assurance that the one I'm replacing had any more thorough data anyway. And since both machines are essentially always on and always logged in, I should be fine.

So, again, should I also copy over the main.db-journal file, do you think? (They both have the same date stamp, so it seems maybe I should.)

Thanks again!

Sailor222
Casual Adventurer
Message 7 of 11 (115 Views)

The main.db-journal file is only a temporary file used when updating the database file. You don’t need to copy this file.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 8 of 11 (97 Views)

Okay. Thanks.

Other than that merging process that's obviously not a real option, do you have any suggestions at all for having history on multiple machines other than keeping logged in? Sometimes machines are offline for backups, etc. Currently that means they don't log activity and that's it. I get that.

I don't expect you have any suggestions. Just thought I'd ask.

Either they're planning to implement universtal syncing soon, at least for paying customers, or the history isn't considered that important. I'm sure they'll implement syncing soon. It seems inevitable.

Thanks again!

Sailor222
Casual Adventurer
Message 9 of 11 (92 Views)

I don’t have any details, but it seems that Skype is working on a cloud based solution, and this may improve the syncing messages issue.

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA12381/what-is-the-cloud?frompage=search&q=cloud&fromSearchFirstPa...

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 10 of 11 (86 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling