Offline contacts showing as "Invisible"?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Offline contacts showing as "Invisible"?

Okay so lately I have noticed when I leave an offline message to someone I skype regularly, the message will not show as "pending" (little spinning circle) but will rather appear like it had gone through...I know for a fact they are offline, and they are confused as I was.

I know alot would say they obviously must be lying (which has been nagging at my mind even though I trust them imensly) so I did a little experiment and messaged 5 offline contacts (one being MY spare account, security reasons...). On all but two (of who I have not seen online in at least a year), the messages went "through" and didnt show as pending. Even odder, one of the ones that went through was my account and another had a previous offline message above it that was still pending!! So I know they havent been online yet the messages went through...Any one got an answer to this? Or perhaps a solution?

(a little personal note, I have anxiety and serious trusting issues so this kind of thing really nags at my mind when its people close to me. Thankfully the experiment gave me some peace of mind till I get answers)

Aelzara
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 7 (4,479 Views)

Re: Offline contacts showing as "Invisible"?

Most likely you account is now upgraded to the new MSNP24 service (cloud based service). Try this:

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-desktop-client/No-pending-logo-for-IMS/m-p/2367877#M212863

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6609
Message 2 of 7 (4,452 Views)

I started to see the same issues for a few days where an offline contact you would send a message to will not have the pending status - running Skype v. 6.11.0.102 on Windows 7 64 bit platform.  It's been doing this more often, I even checked settings and nothing has changed. But I can find out the status on my skype android app, but it is a version behind, but it will show the pending status on who is offline.

Kronology
Novel Tourist
Message 3 of 7 (4,436 Views)

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Kudos: 6609
Message 4 of 7 (4,431 Views)

I'm in the same boat, and I find it very frustrating and stressful as well for similar, anxiety-related reasons. Not only do I no longer know if someone is invisible or offline, but now I can't tell whether an important message has been received yet. I really couldn't care less if it's sitting "in the cloud"; that's great and all, really, because I always hated that receiving a pending message depended entirely upon both users being online simultaneously. What's frustrating and ridiculous, however, is that the pending circle no longer displays when the recipient is offline. It should, as the pending circle means "message not yet received" (or it always has in the past). When someone's offline, it doesn't matter how long that message sits in the cloud, it is still not yet received.
TiberiusTwo
Casual Tourist
Message 5 of 7 (4,362 Views)

I don't see how it's any more different or unreliable than a standard e-mail.  Normal e-mail goes to a storage area with no real delivery confirmation.  In my own tests I haven't had an issues receiving the queued messages when I came back online.  Even when the swirl was present there was no guarantee that the person actually read that message only that a computer was 0nline to receive it.  I find it interesting that half the people complain about wanting more anonymity while others complain about the opposite  Who knows if they'll make other adjustments to how it works in the future?  I just know one adjustment in one area tends to appease some people and outrage others. 

techfreak
Community Ambassador
Kudos: 1126
Message 6 of 7 (4,353 Views)

Same thing happened to me today and I was thinking, "Why is this person ignoring me, how rude." Lol. So, I tried sending messages to all my contacts that were showing offline. About half showed the pending circle and half didn't. But here is what I figured out. If they are offline but the pending circle is not showing, and it's been more than an hour since you sent the message, if you right click over the message and it gives you the option to remove or edit the message, the person did not receive it.

As you know, messages that have been read can only be removed up to an hour after they were read, but as long as they are not read they can be removed. So, just try that out to figure out if the person received it or not. Wait more than an hour after you send it, right click and see if you have the option to remove the message. If you do have the option, they didn't receive the message. :wink:

Salsera1
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 3
Message 7 of 7 (4,223 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling