No sound! Help!

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

No sound! Help!

Hi,

For some reason, I don't hear any skype sounds or anyone talking!!!  Please help me, thank youuu!!

Kald
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 7
Message 1 of 54 (52,891 Views)

Re: No sound! Help!

If you go to Tools -> Options -> Audio settings, what do you see there for the Speakers settings?
ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6987
Message 2 of 54 (52,885 Views)

Apparently I can't post a picture. I'll try to be thorough!

Microphone - Headset Microphone (6- Logitech USB Headset)

Volume = 60% (about)

[ ] Automatically adjust microphone settings (not checked)

Speakers - Speakers (SB Audigy)

Volume = 100%

[ ] Automatically adjust speaker settings (not checked)

Ringing - Use selected speaker

Kald
Routine Adventurer
Message 3 of 54 (52,879 Views)

Can you hear sounds from the computer on speakers connected to SB Audigy? As far as I can see Creative has stopped support for this audio card, but you can see some general troubleshooting advices here.

support.creative.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?catID=1&subCatID=205&prodID=4847&prodName=Sound%20Blaster%20Audigy&subCatName=Audigy&CatName=Sound+Blaster

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6987
Message 4 of 54 (52,875 Views)

I have their most recent drivers, but yes, all other programs play sound through the speakers, it's only Skype I have these problems with.
Kald
Routine Adventurer
Message 6 of 54 (52,863 Views)

Kald wrote:
I have their most recent drivers, but yes, all other programs play sound through the speakers, it's only Skype I have these problems with.

Please see these suggestions: http://community.skype.com/t5/Garage/TheUberOverLord-Call-Issues-Checks/td-p/156704

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 585
Message 7 of 54 (52,861 Views)

Oh, I thought I included something about it in my last post.

I have the most recent updates and drivers and everything for all of the hardware that skype uses (all of it period, actually). I currently have all updates from Microsoft. Video isn't an issue, though both DX and my graphics drivers are up to date.

The chosen speakers are set to default, in the Levels tab of the properties, the sound is set to 100 (I control the volume with the knob on the speakers, and it's set to about 50%), and it's not muted, and microphone volume in there is muted. I'll skip the part about setting up the mic since mine works. In skype, the devices I wish to use are both selected. A sound test registers playback, showing the bar below the speakers moving up and down and such, but no sound comes out. Everything is unchecked in the volume mixer.

Running through the "Why can't I hear the other person?" article, I've tried everything and it doesn't help. Checking the call quality settings, skype says my speakers seem to be working fine. For the record, there is in fact only one object with that name on my computer, and in skype, so I do have the correct one selected.

Test call - same thing. "How can I improve my call quality", that doesn't really apply, though I read through just to make sure.

I'm not using wireless, I don't have a wireless card on my computer, I use my preferred method of connection, a nice, sturdy, quite new cat6 ethernet cord.

It's not a laptop, and while desktops also can overheat, I have a nice case, with amazing fans, in-case temp sits at 24C solid, CPU 48C under load, GPU 39 under load.

Kald
Routine Adventurer
Message 8 of 54 (52,856 Views)

Kald wrote:

Oh, I thought I included something about it in my last post.

I have the most recent updates and drivers and everything for all of the hardware that skype uses (all of it period, actually). I currently have all updates from Microsoft. Video isn't an issue, though both DX and my graphics drivers are up to date.

The chosen speakers are set to default, in the Levels tab of the properties, the sound is set to 100 (I control the volume with the knob on the speakers, and it's set to about 50%), and it's not muted, and microphone volume in there is muted. I'll skip the part about setting up the mic since mine works. In skype, the devices I wish to use are both selected. A sound test registers playback, showing the bar below the speakers moving up and down and such, but no sound comes out. Everything is unchecked in the volume mixer.

Running through the "Why can't I hear the other person?" article, I've tried everything and it doesn't help. Checking the call quality settings, skype says my speakers seem to be working fine. For the record, there is in fact only one object with that name on my computer, and in skype, so I do have the correct one selected.

Test call - same thing. "How can I improve my call quality", that doesn't really apply, though I read through just to make sure.

I'm not using wireless, I don't have a wireless card on my computer, I use my preferred method of connection, a nice, sturdy, quite new cat6 ethernet cord.

It's not a laptop, and while desktops also can overheat, I have a nice case, with amazing fans, in-case temp sits at 24C solid, CPU 48C under load, GPU 39 under load.

Please see these:

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/hardware_device_problems/

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/AudioRecording/

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/AudioPlayback/

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/help/no-sound-in-windows

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 585
Message 9 of 54 (52,854 Views)

After reviewing those, I haven't came any closer to fixing the issue. Sound works in everything except for Skype, it's not an issue with the speakers, it's not an issue with the sound card, it's not an issue with the connection, it's not hardware related.

Things that sound does work on:

Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Opera (youtube, facebook games, any website I go to with sound, sound works stellar)

Windows Media Player & Center

Foobar 2000

Audacity

Starcraft 1 & 2

Dead Island

World of Warcraft

Grand Fantasia

Gunbound

Age of Empires 1 & 2

Diablo 2

Media Player Classic Home Cinema

Terraria

MSN

The Sims 3

Things that sound doesn't work on:

Kald
Routine Adventurer
Message 10 of 54 (52,851 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling