No one can hear me - microphone works

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

No one can hear me - microphone works

Hello,

I have a very odd problem.  My microphone is working (checked in other voice programs and windows recording devices), but I don't see any levels being displayed in skype and no one can hear me.  What makes this so odd is that if I shout into the mic, skype will still automatically adjust the volume of the mic down, so somewhere, it is still getting input from the mic.  I've tried restarting my system and it didn't help...

HTL2001
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 15 (18,604 Views)

Re: No one can hear me - microphone works

What settings do you have for Microphone in Tools -> Options -> Audio settings?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 7346
Message 2 of 15 (18,585 Views)

[ Edited ]

Microphone (Realtek High Definition Audio)

If I use one of my webcam microphones, it gets a signal.  Again, it seems to notice my realtek one at some level, because it will auto-adjust the volume slider, and all other programs work with this microphone selected just fine.  I should also mention that I've had skype using this microphone for some time, and it was working just the night before.

EDIT

something I just noticed, sometimes when switching to audio settings, a green bar appears briefly in the volume indicator.

HTL2001
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 15 (18,576 Views)

You can try to reset all Skype settings.

Quit Skype or use Windows Task Manager to kill any Skype.exe process. Go to Windows Start and in the Search/Run box type %appdata%, press Enter or click the OK button. The Windows File Explorer will pop up. There locate a folder named “Skype”. Rename this folder to something different, e.g. Skype_old. Restart Skype.

N.B. If needed, you will still be able to re-establish your call and chat history. All data is still saved in the Skype_old folder.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 7346
Message 4 of 15 (18,573 Views)

[ Edited ]

No effect... everything is still behaving like before.

EDIT

Okay this is weird.  I was thinking of trying to use the manycam microphone input to work around this, here is what I found: Manycam will play back sound if I have "test microphone" selected, BUT the levels indicator will remain flat.  So somewhere, the sound data is coming through but the levels are not?  I'm going to dig a bit deeper into my driver for this...

HTL2001
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 15 (18,567 Views)

[ Edited ]

I am having the same issue, I have gone through every conceivable way of fixing this including different ports, reinstalling skype, reinstalling the audio drivers and numerous amplification things, and testing all the software and hardware on different pieces of hardware and software respectively.

It seems that skype is picking up the audio from the mic since if I amplify it about 300%, set the mic volume to max, turn off auto adjust and shout really loud at the mic it can be faintly heard at the other end, also as previously pointed out if I turn on auto adjust it will adjust the mic volume down if I shout into it.

Something very odd is going on here and I am at a loss as to how to fix this

leafy_kille
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 15 (18,559 Views)

This is REALLY random but here's what I did that fixed it:

I had been using an extender cable to plug my mic into the back of the computer.  The sound card did not detect me removing the microphone from the extender cable, but it did if I removed the extender from the back of the computer itself.  Once I unplugged it from the back, the card recognized it was unplugged, and then I re-plugged it, everything worked.  This is after I re-installed the drivers completely even.

I still have NO IDEA how other programs were able to read the microphone input despite the levels always reporting as flat.

HTL2001
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 15 (18,544 Views)

already tried unpluging and reconecting my mic, it has no noteable effect
leafy_kille
Novel Adventurer
Message 8 of 15 (18,540 Views)

no one can hear me on windows 8 for skype please help!

joshuajoeshchan
Novel Tourist
Message 9 of 15 (8,130 Views)

So how did you solve the problem?

overally
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 10 of 15 (7,916 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling