New Skype asking for country code/name on nearly e...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

New Skype asking for country code/name on nearly every call -- can I make a country my default?

[ Edited ]

Hi all -- I have been using Skype for about 6 months to make almost all my calls in the U.S. I recently installed the newest version of the Skype software, and now before I can call nearly all of my contacts  Skype asks me for the country code/name before it will dial the #.  Annoying to say the least -- never asked for this before.  Is there anyway to set a particular country code as my default for ALL my calls?  Help please.

Heeb
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 1 of 29 (14,842 Views)

Re: New Skype asking for country code/name on nearly every call -- can I make a country my default?

I'm having the same problem...must choose country code on all calls including frequently dialed numbers...anybody have a solution??

edcroninlasnek
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 2 of 29 (14,799 Views)

Re: New Skype asking for country code/name on nearly every call -- can I make a country my default?

Add the telephone numbers as contact numbers and you can also enter a leading + in front of numbers you enter manually and then enter the country code, area code and number

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 1614
Message 3 of 29 (14,795 Views)

Are you saying that I should do this manually for each of my contacts in Outlook?  I would like to avoid having to do that if at all possible -- I have some 2000+ contacts.  My preference would be to change a single setting so that Skype assumes that my default country name/code is my home country -- literally 100% of my calls are to US phones. Do you know what change Skype made in the software that now requires that I give the country name/code -- never happened before?

Heeb
Casual Adventurer
Message 4 of 29 (14,791 Views)

[ Edited ]

No, I am trying to figure out a few things, like the format of your numbers as well as what default flag you have for your call window.

There is something called the "Preditive Dialer Country" and I am trying to find out what Skypt things yours is.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 5 of 29 (14,788 Views)

Thanks very much for trying to figure this out!  When I open one of my contacts and select the number that I want to call, Skype tells me that I have to select the country code/name -- there is no default when I select a contacts ph #.  If I open the Dial Pad to enter manually a number I would call, the default is USA.

Heeb
Casual Adventurer
Message 6 of 29 (14,783 Views)

[ Edited ]

Ok, I have a tool I created called SEHE, it will show what country the predictive dialer country is set to when it initializes, simply uncheck the logging off checkbox once SEHE initializes.

SEHE can be uninstalled at anytime by removing it using your Windows Control Panel Add/Remove programs function.

Please copy/paste the link below into the browser window of your choice:

saveontelephonebills.com/skype/SEHE/publish.htm

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 7 of 29 (14,780 Views)

Can you please check in the Menu "Help -> Info" which version exactly you are using?
You might want to give our latest betaversion 5.5 a try and see if it's the same there: http://www.skype.com/intl/en/get-skype/on-your-computer/windows/beta/

Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 10256
Message 8 of 29 (14,775 Views)

Being somewhat of a newcomer to all this and the Skype users community -- I am reluctant to install your software on my machine.  I mean no offense and I hope none is taken -- it just seems like a big risk given all the unknowns.  Suggestions?

Heeb
Casual Adventurer
Message 9 of 29 (14,769 Views)

Yes I understand.

Please install the beta version using the instructions below:

If you have the normal Skype version installed, please install the beta version, if you have the beta version installed please install the normal version from Skype.com, please do NOT remove the current Skype installation, install over it.

You can install the current release or the Current beta release by doing this from the top of this page:

Get Skype -> Windows -> Choose the normal or beta release, please do NOT remove what you already have installed, simply, install over.

These instructions have worked for many and is the quickest thing to try to resolve issues such as this.

Also, what operating system are you on and do you have all Windows updates and updates to any hardware devices by the manufacturers?

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 10 of 29 (14,767 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling