My Skype keeps crashing...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Skype keeps crashing...

Since I updated my Skype, it keeps closing as soon as I log in.  It won't allow me to do anything before stating that Skype is encountering a problem and closes.  I have read over various posts on how to fix the issue, but nothing seems to be working for me.  My netbook is fairly new, so I don't not think it has anything to do with my Skype crashing.  I have uninstalled and re-installed Skype multiple times in hopes that it would start working.  However, nothing seems to be the right solution for my situation.  Could I please get some help?

noodlez
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 8
Message 1 of 11 (24,000 Views)

Re: My Skype keeps crashing...

Here are some basic trouble-shooting steps that you can try if you are experiencing problems in logging in or running Skype.  You may have already tried some or most of these procedures, just try whichever are still applicable.  If possible try them in the order they were listed as the first ones would most likely fix the issues;

1. Be sure that Compatibility Mode is not enabled (right-click on Skype shortcut icon/launcher and select Properties >> Compatibility) - for Windows 7 users only.

2. Enter %appdata%\skype in the Run command (click OK), then look for and delete file named shared.xml.

3. Update your display, audio, webcam, microphone drivers or software. You can also visit the corresponding manufacturer's site to check if there is a new driver for your device.

4. Try the current Skype beta version (version 5.5).  Download link pasted below

skype.com/intl/en-us/get-skype/on-your-computer/windows/beta/

If the procedures above don't fix the issues, click Spoiler to see additional suggestions;

Spoiler

4. Try to temporarily disable your anti-virus or firewall software, just to check if they are affecting Skype processes in any way. Just don't browse any webpage or use any application that uses internet while your anti-virus or firewall is turned-off. Immediately reactivate them after checking/testing.

5. Do a complete uninstall, then reinstall Skype. here is how to completely uninstall Skype (just back-up all important files and information that you feel is important to you)

support.skype.com/en/faq/FA10634/How-can-I-completely-uninstall-and-then-reinstall-Skype

6.  Run basic computer maintenance such disk defrag, registry cleaning, disk error checking, etc - and also run a full virus scan (just to make sure that your computer is free from any virus/malware that are possibly affecting Skype performance).

If all else fails, you can consider the suggestions below;

7. Restore your computer to a point where Skype was still working.

8. Try to disable or remove add-ons or programs installed prior to the existence of the problem.

9.  Install an earlier version of Skype, preferably the last version that worked in your computer.  You can download installers of older Skype versions from the address pasted below.  The site which link is pasted below is not associated or affiliated with Skype so download at your own risk.  A full anti-virus scan of the downloaded installer, and right-after installation is recommended.

filehippo.com/download_skype/8287/

Please only consider this action if and only if all the suggestions previously mentioned were already tried.

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1550
Message 2 of 11 (23,999 Views)

Thank you so much!!!

noodlez
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 8
Message 3 of 11 (23,994 Views)

I have experienced the same situation in the last few days. I run the 5.6.59.100 version on a Windows Vista PC. The program crashes regularly within a few minutes. 

valhossu
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 4 of 11 (16,805 Views)

The quickest method currently to resolve this is to install over what you have. using the beta release here: http://skype.com/go/getskype-beta

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 580
Message 5 of 11 (16,801 Views)

The same thing is happening to me again - it happened last October and November and now its doing it again.  What is the answer to this problem?

gilliedog
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 11 (13,794 Views)

Deleting my shared.xml file did it for me! Been having this problem for 3 weeks now! Thanks!!!!!

gabrieljay7
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 11 (13,408 Views)

Download and Reinstall the new Skype 5.7 beta version. See if it helps.

http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-beta-full/

If not resolve this issue, then

Please do a Skype reset:

1. Ensure that "Show hidden files and folders" is switched on.

Click Start and then Run Type "control folders" and click OK. In the View tab, ensure that Show hidden files and folders is enabled

2. Exit Skype : From the system tray >> right click on the skype icon and click "Quit Skype"

3. Click Start >> Run Type: %appdata% Rename folder "Skype" to "Old_Skype"

4. Re-run Skype

Check if the issue persists

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6204
Message 8 of 11 (12,936 Views)

wongyiing
Novel Tourist
Message 9 of 11 (11,766 Views)

Close SKYPE. Click Start and type in at the bottom-  %appdata%\skype and hit ENTER.  Then locate shared.xml and delete it.  That should fix it.

Scorpio1950
Novel Adventurer
Message 10 of 11 (1,648 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling