My Skype Will Not Connect!

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Accepted Solution

My Skype Will Not Connect!

I just updated my Skype to 5.10

I am using an acer laptop for my Skype calls and messaging and it won't even sign in. The loading symbol takes forever to "try" and load and then replies with "skype cannot connect".

Help?

PM123
Casual Adventurer

Accepted Solution

After working on it for two hours yesterday, I finally got it to work.  After I upgraded Skype, the Skype firewall program in McAfee was blocked.  Once I unblocked it, everything worked fine although my settings were changed back to the default settings.  I'm glad to have it back.  Here are the instructions:

Make sure that Skype is not running.
Open McAfee Security Center Home Page
Click Firewall
Click Settings
Open the Internet Connections for Programs drawer
Find Skype; there may be more than one; choose the one that says BLOCKED
Click on Skype
Under ACCESS, click the arrow to pull down the menu and select FULL
Click Apply

View solution in original post
dermcgheester
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 5
Message 1 of 24 (23,439 Views)

Re: My Skype Will Not Connect!

My Skype Will Not Connect Either!

I avoided clicking on the "Upgrade Skype" button for months now for this very reason.  Then today I decided to upgrade and it did exactly what I hoped it wouldn't do -- everything entirely messed up.  Skype will not load properly -- the arrow in the circle goes on forever.  Now I am searching for the version of Skype I am using and it says to log into Skype, click Help, skype version.  When I log in there is no HELP tab to click.  Right now I am missing a very special video call with two children in a foreign country waiting to hear and see me to talk about the presents I sent them and when I am coming to visit.  So I really picked the wrong time to UPGRADE and I feel sick about missing this call.  I guess this is a good lesson; check out the posts before you upgrade to see if anyone else is experiencing problems.  Thanks for letting me vent.  I would really appreciate it if I could get connected real soon.  Again, thanks.  PM

PM123
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 15
Message 2 of 24 (23,417 Views)

What Firewall and Antivirus applications are installed on your computer?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6506
Message 3 of 24 (23,400 Views)

I have no antivirus, and firewall I'm not entirely sure about that. I just downloaded an older version and it worked, so I'm fine for now.

dermcgheester
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 5
Message 4 of 24 (23,379 Views)

After working on it for two hours yesterday, I finally got it to work.  After I upgraded Skype, the Skype firewall program in McAfee was blocked.  Once I unblocked it, everything worked fine although my settings were changed back to the default settings.  I'm glad to have it back.  Here are the instructions:

Open McAfee Security Center Home Page
Click Firewall
Click Settings
Click on Skype
Click Apply

PM123
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 24 (23,375 Views)

uninstall newest sw and than install version 5.9

PM123 wrote:

My Skype Will Not Connect Either!

I avoided clicking on the "Upgrade Skype" button for months now for this very reason.  Then today I decided to upgrade and it did exactly what I hoped it wouldn't do -- everything entirely messed up.  Skype will not load properly -- the arrow in the circle goes on forever.  Now I am searching for the version of Skype I am using and it says to log into Skype, click Help, skype version.  When I log in there is no HELP tab to click.  Right now I am missing a very special video call with two children in a foreign country waiting to hear and see me to talk about the presents I sent them and when I am coming to visit.  So I really picked the wrong time to UPGRADE and I feel sick about missing this call.  I guess this is a good lesson; check out the posts before you upgrade to see if anyone else is experiencing problems.  Thanks for letting me vent.  I would really appreciate it if I could get connected real soon.  Again, thanks.  PM

hhhfirma
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 6 of 24 (23,267 Views)

for many it will still not work. my solution: uninstall version 5.10 and install old version 5.9

hhhfirma
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 7 of 24 (23,263 Views)

THANK YOU!!!!!
I would have never figured this out.
I've been having skype connecting problems all week after a upgrade. I even tried uninstalling and installing it again and it still wouldn't work. Your solution worked perfectly! Thanks.
JewelleeGee
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 8 of 24 (23,096 Views)

[ Edited ]

Same problem is occur fro my pc and laptop,so I'm  so many time uninstall the skpe.Than after someioone is say you are turn of firwall as well as automatic update and antivirus setting for my pc and skpe is working proper.

NickBilton
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 9 of 24 (22,985 Views)

This worked for me:

Open McAfee Security Center Home Page (if you don't have McAfee, open the program that the firewall program is in, maybe Windows firewall)
Click Firewall
Click Settings
Click on Skype
Click Apply

PM123
Casual Adventurer
Message 10 of 24 (22,944 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling