Re: Mic not working with Skype fine with other app...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Mic not working with Skype fine with other apps

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I really have no idea, no idea at all.

I will edit this post if I have a solution because I know how annoying it is to look through everything.

Stats first of all, I have Windows 7 U Ed,

MSI 790FX K9A2 Platinum Motherboard,

Realtek HD Audio Manager,

Skype 5.6.59.110  -- Now Updated to 5.8.0.158

Mic 3.5mm Jack.

I have been having a problem with this for about 2 months now. I haven't been able to get skype to pick up my mic at all. I am able to have other applications to pick it up from Windows Recorder to Audacity 1.3. I have tried to use it in different slots and different mics but skype will not work.

There is a picture attached which shows that my setting are the same and the mic is working on both Windows Recorder to Audacity 1.3. Microsoft can pick it up fine on the properties but skype does not.

Again any help would be awesome and like I said I will edit this if I get an answer so people can see.

moltile
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 1 of 29 (43,277 Views)

Re: Mic not working with Skype fine with other apps

Ok just updated skype and that hasn't done the trick.
Now running 5.8.0.158
moltile
Casual Adventurer
Message 2 of 29 (43,142 Views)

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows/Skype-Problems-Troubleshooting-Procedures-Windows/td-p/52260

Done - Uncheck/Disable Compatibility Mode
Done - Reset Internet Explorer to Default
Done - Update your Device Drivers
Done - Clean Skype Folders/Files
Done - Run Basic Computer Maintenance
Done - Complete Uninstall
Done - Remove or Disable Skype Related Add-ons or Programs
Done - Install an earlier version of Skype

OK what next....

moltile
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 29 (43,132 Views)

moltile
Casual Adventurer
Message 4 of 29 (43,126 Views)

Get more help Thank you Your chat has started in a new window, a support representative will be with you shortly.

Your support request summary Help topic and related problem

Technical Problems › Sound problems

Boots C. says, Can you please upgrade your Skype application: http://www.skype.com/download/skype/windows/

15:51:41 moltile says, I am currently running 5.8.0.158, is this not the current version? 15:51:52Boots C. says, Thank you.

15:53:57 Boots C. says, In order to resolve your issue, I need to escalate this for you.

15:54:05 moltile says, I have reinstalled current version 5.8.0.158, uninstalled current 5.8.0.158 and installed a previous version 5.6.59.110 then uninstalled previous version 5.6.59.110 and reinstalled 5.8.0.158.

15:54:43 moltile says, Ahh ok. What does "escalate" entail?

15:55:23 Boots C. says, What they will do is to investigate the link that you have provided and why it is affecting Skype.

15:55:53 Boots C. says, Since I have provided the troubleshooting steps and you have done clean installation.

15:57:52 moltile says, Will this process be dealt with on this chat?

15:58:33 Boots C. says, Basically, you will received an email response from them. 16:00:58 Boots C. says, Is there anything else I can help you with today?

16:01:09 moltile says, Should I have an email response now or will I be getting one in the future? 16:01:40 moltile says, And if in the future what would be the timescale for that? 16:02:18 Boots C. says, I cannot provide a specific timeframe but I have noted on the report as urgent.

16:04:03 moltile says, Thank you. Would you be able to provide a general timeframe?

16:04:28 Boots C. says, I am sorry but I do not have the information.

16:05:17 moltile says, That is fine, thank you for your help.

16:05:48 Boots C. says, It's been a pleasure speaking with you today. Thank you for contacting Skype Live Support, have a great day. We value your feedback. Please be aware that we will ask you a few questions after closing the chat window about your experience with us today. Once you are ready please click on the "Exit" button.

So no help there then.

moltile
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 29 (43,111 Views)

In Windows Sound panel -> Enhancements select the option: Disable all sound effects.

I don't know why, but sometimes this can help.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 7064
Message 6 of 29 (43,096 Views)

Hey thanks for the reply,

I have attempted to fiddle with the enhancments on the properties page. It has not been successful. Any other suggestions would be helpful.

moltile
Casual Adventurer
Message 7 of 29 (43,089 Views)

get an external mic

jackieandresen
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 8 of 29 (39,932 Views)

I was having the same issue and I think I fixed it.

Inside Control Panel, I went to Sound -> Communications

That tab says: Windows can automatically adjust the volume of different sounds when you are using your PC to place or receive telephone calls. When Windows detects communications activity

I answered "Do nothing" instead of the default "Reduce by 80%" and it looks like it's working now.

mattholthe
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 2
Message 9 of 29 (38,215 Views)

I just solved this problem on my computer. My mic was dead, but only on Skype. I noticed that this problem started after an update from Skype and things may got screwed around by updating. Sign in to Skype, Click your "Tools" tap then click "Option" then on Audio Setting make sure you click on you current mic and then "save"

bbgary1
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 3
Message 10 of 29 (37,526 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling