Message that can't start Video because another pr...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Message that can't start Video because another program is using web cam

I am getting frustrated. 

I have MS Lifecam cinema version 3.6 

Windows XP Professional ver 5.1

When I go on Skype everything tests well but when I make a vido call I cant be seen by the other party. I get the message that I  can't start Video because another program is using web cam. but there is nothing else running?? I do not see any conflicts.

Please asdvise

Mike

mfaughnan1
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 11 (21,784 Views)

Re: Message that can't start Video because another program is using web cam

MS Lifecam software could be your problem.

Use Task Manager to see if Lifecam.exe is running in Processes.  If so, end the process and see if Skype can then use your webcam.

Or just uninstall Lifecam and see if that does the trick.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 1894
Message 2 of 11 (21,771 Views)

What is the real answer of this problem I had everything working fine about 18 months ago. then for some reason, my web-cam stopped working, and I received the infamous message "Can't start video. "Try closing other programs that might be using your web-cam" I have tried to solve this problem without any success, and consequently I have not been able to used Skype for several months. However as  I am constantly asked by friends to get on "Skype" in my FRUSTRATION!!! I have Googled this infamous message "Can't start video etc etc" and discovered The Worlds Biggest Can of Worms!!! everybody and their uncle seems to have this problem!!! and everybody and his uncle seems to be frustrated, and receiving NO SUPPORT! or HELP FROM SKYPE!!! to solve this problem??? Why is This???

I have followed every bit of fix advice that I have been able to find on-line, but nothing seems to work. I have even bought a new web-cam, downloaded latest drivers, I have uninstalled & reinstalled Skype more times than I have had hot dinners!! The sad thing about this is that I am beginning to think that "Skype" either does nor care a dam, or are incapable of fixing this problem?

So  is there anybody out there who really knows how to fix this problem once and for all? If there is please HELP!!! 

I am using Windows XP  SP3 &  My Webcam is: Sonix USB2  PC Camera. 

PedrCymro
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 3 of 11 (21,753 Views)

This is the best troubleshooting guide for that problem that I know of:

http://community.skype.com/t5/Garage/How-to-Find-Program-That-Has-Cam-Opened/td-p/482745

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 4 of 11 (21,746 Views)

You can try this:

http://community.skype.com/t5/Garage/TheUberOverLord-Video-Issues-Checks/td-p/156710

You can also try to reset all Skype settings:

Quit Skype or use Windows Task Manager to kill any Skype.exe process. Go to Windows Start and in the Search/Run box type %appdata%, press Enter or OK button. The Windows File Explorer will popup. Locate there a folder with the name Skype. Rename this folder to something different, e.g. Skype_old. Restart Skype.

N.B. If needed, you will still be able to re-establish your call history. All data are still saved in the Skype_old folder.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Kudos: 7351
Message 5 of 11 (21,741 Views)

Thanks g4pilut, but I have already tried that it does not find any other prog that is using my webcam???

PedrCymro
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 6 of 11 (21,716 Views)

[ Edited ]

Did you try resetting your Skype configuration as described above by ruwim?

If you did that, and tried everything in the link I provided earlier, I'm sorry but don't have any further ideas.  I hope someone else will jump in with a solution that works for you.

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 7 of 11 (21,709 Views)

What worked for me was to re-boot the computer.

If that doesn't work uninstall Skype, then reinstall skype.

ccccc
Novel Adventurer
Message 8 of 11 (21,050 Views)

I have just fix the very same problem.  I have an old XP machine, which I reinstated so I could pass it on to my seven year old.  The computer has not been used for about 2 or 3 years.

Skype and the Microsoft lifecam worked flawlessly when last use; but refused to play fair when I tried to set it back up 5 days ago.

I did waste 5 days to get it to work; but it was a matter of honour, going out to buy another $27 webcam was surrender and defeat.

In my case I basically followed the steps in Microsoft  knowledge base (or support) article that I now can’t find. The summary of that article was

a)      establish lifecam  works using the latest version of its own software (3.6  )

b)      close lifecam program  (check there are no background processes still running)

c)      re-install skype

These steps worked for me.

1. Uninstalled version 3.2  and installed  version 3.6 from here http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/d/lifecam-vx-5000   Install only the driver and software. Do not install Windows Live you get the choice in the second last step.

2.   I found Lifecam.exe that runs version 3.6 would not drive the webcam if MSCamS32.exe was running.  This was probably something that failed to un-install when version 3.2 was removed. (I’m not sure. see below point 4.)

there was also another  program in the start up folder that looked suspect. LifeExp.exeI used msconfig.exe  to disabled  it from running so far, everything has work without it running at start up. I’m not sure if I will change back to let it run as msconfig.exe keeps asking me to switch back to normal starting

3.    Killed MSCamS32.exe in task manager (or process explorer); found the webcam now worked. But it was temperamental I often have to unplug from the USB wait for the device manager dropped hardware sound twice. Then plugged into a different USB port for it to work. The important thing was established; there was no physical problem with the hardware.

4.    check that webcam works with only the one process running in task manager ( or process explorer ) [Edit] just rechecked and found LifeCam.exe works even with MSCamS32.exe running so you might find you can ignore point 2.

5.    Close LifeCam .exe

6.   Download skype from here http://beta.skype.com/en/download-skype/skype-for-windows/downloading/  AND  re-install over the version you have  already. Do not uninstall  previous version .

I got this from Uberoverlord from here http://community.skype.com/t5/Video-on-Windows/Message-that-can-t-start-Video-because-another-progra...  and it worked for me

7.  Once skype has finished installing; open the program, and  the go to

Tools > options > video settings; and wait for the lifecam to be initialized

8.  if it was successful ; you should see two background process running in task manager (or process explorer)  Life tray.exe  and LifeEnC2.exe

I believe these are what lets Skype use to lifecam

9.  Good luck and may the Lord Jesus bless you with success.

skoll
Novel Adventurer
Message 9 of 11 (17,856 Views)

same idea. Thanks for help.

game avatar | game avatar moi nhat

zobinta
Novel Tourist
Message 10 of 11 (14,356 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling