Merging Skype Account - I don't want to

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Merging Skype Account - I don't want to

Is this a requirement?  Historically, I have not used my microsoft account for anything, and I'd rather not.

Please use plain text.
tduplantis
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 4
Message 1 of 11 (5,683 Views)

Re: Merging Skype Account - I don't want to

You don't need to merge with Microsoft account. This is optional.

Please use plain text.
ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6384
Message 2 of 11 (5,669 Views)

Please show me how to make it OPTIONAL ???  Windows 8 forced me to merge my skype account to my microsoft account... I don't know how to UNMERGE. 

This is REALLY STUPID of SKYPE.  I have several skype accounts used for different purposed.  Now, I have to log in using the stupid microsoft account. 

If you know, please show me in details on how to un-merge this.  I don't want microsoft to start forcing controls on my accounts.

Thanks,

Please use plain text.
huucao1
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 10
Message 3 of 11 (5,598 Views)

huucao1 wrote:

Please show me how to make it OPTIONAL ???  Windows 8 forced me to merge my skype account to my microsoft account... I don't know how to UNMERGE. 

This is REALLY STUPID of SKYPE.  I have several skype accounts used for different purposed.  Now, I have to log in using the stupid microsoft account. 

If you know, please show me in details on how to un-merge this.  I don't want microsoft to start forcing controls on my accounts.

Thanks,

The statement that merging is optional refers only to the “normal” desktop version of Skype. See this on how to unmerge.

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows/How-can-I-unmerge-Skype-amp-MSN-Message-account/m-p/1187998/hi...

Please use plain text.
ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6384
Message 4 of 11 (5,588 Views)

I also am very unhappy about this.  I have removed Skype from my tablet, and will not use it because Skype does not need to know my Microsoft Store account information, and likewise, Microsoft does not need to know my Skype information.

Shame on Skype for forcing this sync on individuals who especially don't want it, and who try to keep their accounts separated.  It's extremely unfair to those of us who still use the internet and try to remain somewhat anonymous, or as anonymous as we can be.

The internet was founded on the free exchange of information.  This growing trend of synchronization is useful for businessmen and those who use their computers solely for business purposes.  To anybody who doesn't want their contacts getting all jumbled up it's not useful at all, not to mention the immediate privacy concerns that come to mind.

What's next Skype?  Going to force me to merge my Live account?  Going to force me to merge my Facebook account?  My Reddit account? Where will the line be drawn and WHY do you require my Microsoft Store login information which has absolutely no bearing on your authentication servers?

People fail to understand and realize that allowing companies to force you to sync information is just another means for them to track you around and the people we associate with.  A person doesn't need to be doing anything wrong at all to value their privacy, and with everything going on in the news concerning the NSA collecting major metadata and cell phone logs on the North American public, more people should be seriously concerned about what these companies are doing with the data they are collecting from you on your mobile devices.

Stop using programs and small apps from the Microsoft Store and the Andriod/iPhone stores that want information such as your contact list, your identity information, and things of that nature (which almost all apps want nowadays).  If you don't stand up for your rights, you will lose them all eventually.

Please use plain text.
downdrop
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 9
Message 5 of 11 (3,449 Views)

Solution

[ Edited ]

Solution:

download Skype here:

Use that link to get Skype and you don't have to merge accounts. Just sign in as usual.
Please use plain text.
pf6656265465132
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 6 of 11 (3,369 Views)

you know.. this is very frautrating.. i restarted my account.. and it said that i need to merge my hotmail account with my skype!! i dont want to merge them... I even unlinked it on my skype account. HELP! i missed my job interview because of this. the company added me on skype but i wasnt able to see the request.

Please use plain text.
Jiaqian
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 7 of 11 (2,775 Views)

Yah it sucks, but what do you expect.  Microsoft bought Skype for billions.  Thanks for the avoidance tips. 

Please use plain text.
LJ16
Novel Tourist
Message 8 of 11 (2,481 Views)

omg someone understands, i dont even have a microsoft acount, and its so hard to proceed am i meant to have one to join skype, this is so confusing and nobody understands?

Please use plain text.
toast2000
Novel Tourist
Message 9 of 11 (1,178 Views)

If I can only use skype with a microsoft account - then skype goes.  Nice programme, and what a real shame they're trying to force this on people.  Off now to remove all traces.

Please use plain text.
verypissedoff
Novel Tourist
Message 10 of 11 (400 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling