Making skype not start up with windows

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Making skype not start up with windows

So, I know how to click the button that says "Start skype when I start Windows". But the problem is, I hate skype starting up with windows it takes memory i don't need to use. When i click the box and try to save it so it won't start up with windows it says "Invalid Port". But it says nothign else, nothing about the ports there no button except okay. I don't want to uninstall it because i spent money on it, even though it barely works at all. Please tell me either how to talk to a skype representative, since they don't offer any support over the phone, or how to make it stop saying invalid port.

nma1740
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 33 (12,395 Views)

Re: Making skype not start up with windows

[ Edited ]

I'm confused by your explanation.  To stop Skype from loading when Windows starts (which I think is a good idea), there's no button you click to save the setting.

With Skype running, click on Skype > Sign Out.  That will pop-up the sign-in screen shown below.  Uncheck the Start Skype box, and then continue to fill in username and passowrd and sign in.  That should save the setting.

signin.jpg

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 1894
Message 2 of 33 (12,387 Views)

you can also try;

• Tools >> Options >> General >> General Settings... then uncheck Start Skype When I Start Windows.
  • Type msconfig in the Run command, click the Startup tab, the uncheck Skype.

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1410
Message 3 of 33 (12,382 Views)

Ummmm....yes, that choice on the General Settings tab is probably where the Save button is the OP was referring to is.

If that's generating the error message I'd give the signoff - signon a try.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 1894
Message 4 of 33 (12,378 Views)

Re: network connection failure

I have used Skype for several years without a problem.  Suddenly it has stopped connecting to my network.  I have tried to add it to the accepted list in Trend Micro, took it out of autostart as shown above and it tells me that it can't work with my network.  I have the same network that I have been using for several years.  The only thing that has changed is that I used a public network to check email last week and ran into a problem with their system.  It worked after they did a re-boot. Can you give me some idea of what else to try.  It sees my network as a public network in network and sharing but I can't find the Vista button to change it to home network. 

aurora2
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 33 (12,376 Views)

it sounds to me like you're going to have trouble getting Skype to start, regardless of whether it automatically starts with Windows or not, because the invalid port message will occur if the port that Skype is configured to use is either set wrong or not at all (more likely it's not set at all)

Skype normally chooses a random port between 1024 and 65535 when originally installed and this setting is stored in a file called shared.xml (to locate this file, open the Run dialog by simultaneously pressing the Windows key and R on your keyboard, type in %AppData%\Skype\ and press the Enter key)

probably the easiest way to rectify the port issue is to manually delete your shared.xml file and let Skype build you a new one the next time Skype is run

now depending on whether the option to 'sign me in when Skype starts' (otherwise known as 'auto-signin') was enabled or not, you should either be signed in automatically or you should see the normal signin window

if auto-signin was enabled and you are signed in properly, then you can disable auto-start by either method indicated by Primemover

if auto-signin was NOT enabled then both auto-signin and auto-start options appear on the sign-in window (by setting either option before you sign in and then going ahead and signing in as normal, Skype should remember these settings for next time)

hth

Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 820
Message 6 of 33 (12,372 Views)

aurora2 wrote:

I have used Skype for several years without a problem.  Suddenly it has stopped connecting to my network.  I have tried to add it to the accepted list in Trend Micro, took it out of autostart as shown above and it tells me that it can't work with my network.  I have the same network that I have been using for several years.  The only thing that has changed is that I used a public network to check email last week and ran into a problem with their system.  It worked after they did a re-boot. Can you give me some idea of what else to try.  It sees my network as a public network in network and sharing but I can't find the Vista button to change it to home network. 

please do not attempt to hijack someone elses thread by posting your issue here

start your own thread instead

Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 820
Message 7 of 33 (12,370 Views)

Sorry, this is my first post and I could not find a way to open a new post.  I reached this post when doing a search for network connection.

aurora2
Casual Adventurer
Message 8 of 33 (12,366 Views)

[ Edited ]

g4pilut wrote:

Ummmm....yes, that choice on the General Settings tab is probably where the Save button is the OP was referring to is.

If that's generating the error message I'd give the signoff - signon a try.

oppsss.  :smileysurprised:  my bad.  yes, the unchecking the option in the login window will most likely fix the problem.  if not, also try the msconfig thing.

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1410
Message 9 of 33 (12,364 Views)

The message was not invalid port.  It just said that it was not connected to the network.  I do not know what has changed to cause this problem. I have Windows Vista with Trend Micro Security Suite but they have not changed either.  I had a new wireless HP printer installed and HP had to dial in because the install failed.  I don't know if they changed anything critical or not.

aurora2
Casual Adventurer
Message 10 of 33 (12,355 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling