Re: Login screen is blank!!??..

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Accepted Solution

Login screen is blank!!??..

Hi all

Im new here so please be kind..hehe

I have n pc that skype worked 100% then the login screen just blanked out. Reinstalled, Upgraded tried all nothing works.

If I start my skype it only shows the blue backgroud with skype logo. and on top it shows th file,tool and help tabs.

Can someone plaese help me, its driving me mad:sad:

It is a windows XP Home ver. 5.1

IE8

Accepted Solution

by ruwim

Problems with the login window are, as a rule, related to problems with your Internet Explorer and JavaScript. Regardless which browser you are using, Skype (since version 5.5) is using Internet Explorer and JavaScript to create and manage the login screen.

In order to test if your Internet Explorer is able to execute JavaScript, do the following test:

Open in your Internet Explorer (no other browser but only IE) this page:

http://www.mistered.us/test/alert.shtml

Click on the “Simply Click This Button” button and watch the response.

If you are not receiving a positive response on this test, then this might indicate that you need to repair registration of the JavaScript components.

Go to Windows Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt.

Type the following in the Command Prompt window and then press Enter:

regsvr32 jscript.dll

You should receive a message saying DllRegisterServer in jscript.dll succeeded.

Reboot your computer. Repeat the JavaScript test using your Internet Explorer.

In the case all the above attempts fail, you can apply a temporary solution, which will force Skype to use the old (legacy) login window, which does not require Internet Explorer.

Quit Skype. Make sure that you don’t see any Skype.exe processes in Windows Task Manager. If necessary, then stop these processes. Open C:\Program Files\ folder. Find the Skype folder and then Phone. Right click on the Skype.exe file and select: Send to – Desktop (create shortcut). Right click on the newly created shortcut and select Properties and then the Shortcut tab. In the Target field you will see now: "C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe". Click with your mouse on the text in the Target field and move your curser one space after the last quotation sign and add the text /legacylogin. The text in the Target field should now read:

"C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /legacylogin

Click OK to save the changes. Start Skype using this new shortcut.

View solution in original post

Accepted Solution

by rikuslouw

Worked like a bomb thanks hey:bigsmile:

View solution in original post
rikuslouw
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 1 of 10 (13,392 Views)

Problems with the login window are, as a rule, related to problems with your Internet Explorer and JavaScript. Regardless which browser you are using, Skype (since version 5.5) is using Internet Explorer and JavaScript to create and manage the login screen.

In order to test if your Internet Explorer is able to execute JavaScript, do the following test:

Open in your Internet Explorer (no other browser but only IE) this page:

http://www.mistered.us/test/alert.shtml

Click on the “Simply Click This Button” button and watch the response.

If you are not receiving a positive response on this test, then this might indicate that you need to repair registration of the JavaScript components.

Go to Windows Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt.

Type the following in the Command Prompt window and then press Enter:

regsvr32 jscript.dll

You should receive a message saying DllRegisterServer in jscript.dll succeeded.

Reboot your computer. Repeat the JavaScript test using your Internet Explorer.

In the case all the above attempts fail, you can apply a temporary solution, which will force Skype to use the old (legacy) login window, which does not require Internet Explorer.

Quit Skype. Make sure that you don’t see any Skype.exe processes in Windows Task Manager. If necessary, then stop these processes. Open C:\Program Files\ folder. Find the Skype folder and then Phone. Right click on the Skype.exe file and select: Send to – Desktop (create shortcut). Right click on the newly created shortcut and select Properties and then the Shortcut tab. In the Target field you will see now: "C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe". Click with your mouse on the text in the Target field and move your curser one space after the last quotation sign and add the text /legacylogin. The text in the Target field should now read:

"C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /legacylogin

Click OK to save the changes. Start Skype using this new shortcut.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 7314
Message 2 of 10 (13,297 Views)

Great that worked excellent for me!

Thanks

0 Kudos
buyshirts
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 10 (13,292 Views)

Worked like a bomb thanks hey:bigsmile:

0 Kudos
rikuslouw
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 4 of 10 (13,290 Views)

Great:(y):

0 Kudos
ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 5 of 10 (13,283 Views)

I had to resort to the Legacy option as I could not get it to work any other way.

I still don't understand why anyone would use some base code from IE?  What happens if IE get's infected with a Virus?  There are some versions of Windows 7 that were sold in the EU without IE... How do they login?

Anyway, I've have to use the Lagecy option and I not happy I have to do this.

0 Kudos
mattbell69
Casual Tourist
Message 6 of 10 (13,262 Views)

mattbell69 wrote:

I had to resort to the Legacy option as I could not get it to work any other way.

I still don't understand why anyone would use some base code from IE?  What happens if IE get's infected with a Virus?  There are some versions of Windows 7 that were sold in the EU without IE... How do they login?

Anyway, I've have to use the Lagecy option and I not happy I have to do this.

It is very likely that you will get your Skype working without the “legacylogin” switch if your IE and JavaScript start working. The main problem with “the temporary legacylogin solution” is, that most likely the “Add a contact” function will still not work. This function also depends on IE and JavaScript.

In most cases there is a simple way to correct the problem by performing registration of the JavaScript dlls. However, the procedure depends on the system configuration, and therefore, please, answer first these questions:

What version of Windows are you on? Is it 32-bit or 64-bit?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827218

Go to Windows Start and in the Search box type winver.exe and then press Enter.

What is the version of Internet Explorer installed on your computer?

In Internet Explorer go to Help -> About Internet Explorer.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 7 of 10 (13,255 Views)

64 bit

IE 9

0 Kudos
omer2a
Casual Tourist
Message 8 of 10 (12,827 Views)

omer2a wrote:

64 bit

IE 9

Look here for an appropriate solution.

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-Knowledge-Base/Empty-sign-in-log-in-window/ta-p/630627

Be careful with selecting the correct procedure corresponding to your Windows system and the version of Internet Explorer.

0 Kudos
ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 9 of 10 (12,824 Views)

Yes, this worked for me. I did everything before but still had the blank screen. Now, with this fix, it´s working perfectly. Thank you!!
0 Kudos
ctechera
Casual Tourist
Message 10 of 10 (12,475 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling