Invalid Port??

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Invalid Port??

I've been using skype for years....and had no issues until you folks monkeyed with the interface...I stopped using it because I didn't need it for a year or so *(recession made things slow in my business) but I went to use it today and I can't get on line.

Error message is invalid port...wtf?? 

Any suggestions?

Ianharvey
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 8 (10,445 Views)

Re: Invalid Port??

In your case and your case only.

1. Please stop any and all running Skype Client programs on your system.

2. Using your Windows Control Panel Add/Remove Programs uninstall Skype, when prompted to save your history, choose yes.

3. Using Windows File Explorer ("What you use to view files with") do:

%appdata%\skype

If you find a file called shared.xml right click on it and choose delete.

4. If you see a folder for the Skype name in question, click on it, if you see a file called Config.xml right click on it and choose delete.

5. Using the Windows file Explorer enter:

NOTE: If This is a 64 bit system, please look in the program files (x86) folder

%programfiles%

Right click on the Skype folder and choose delete.

6. Please install the normal version using the instructions below:

You can install the current normal release by doing this from the top of this page:

Get Skype -> Windows -> Choose the normal release.

These instructions have worked for many and is the quickest thing to try to resolve issues such as this.

Also, what operating system are you on and do you have all Windows updates and updates to any hardware devices by the manufacturers?

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 1614
Message 2 of 8 (10,319 Views)

I have just returned to skype and dowloaded it on my laptop after setting up I am recieving a box with invalid port in it and it won't let me progress further what is the code for a Dell latitude D510 please.

harleyguy61
Novel Tourist
Message 3 of 8 (7,597 Views)

Click on Tools > Options > Advanced settings > Connection.   What number do you see in the "Use port ...... for incoming connections" box?

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 1889
Message 4 of 8 (7,587 Views)

I am new to Skype and am also experiencing this problem. There is no port to use in the box and I am running Windows 7 on a Dell. Please advise and thanks!

emiles
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 8 (6,908 Views)

Try putting a random number in that box...say, 23,501, save it, and see if that stops the error from happening.

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 6 of 8 (6,903 Views)

I did that and the error went away but when I get past that I just get a screen that is blue with skype, tools and help at the top and nothing happens............

emiles
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 8 (6,888 Views)

Well, believe it not, that's major progress.  :wink:

Now see this article from the Knowledge base to solve the new problem:

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-Knowledge-Base/Empty-sign-in-log-in-window/ta-p/630627

Make sure to follow the steps specific to your version of Windows and Internet Explorer.

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 8 of 8 (6,886 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling