I want to turn off automatic updates

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

I want to turn off automatic updates

Dear Skype,

No offense, but NOTHING on my system updates automatically. Not even my system. I prefer to be notified that updates are available (or search for them) and download them myself.

I just turned my computer on and not only did Skype immediately start to update, it did so wihtout giving any choice in the matter, and it would not let me stop the download when I tried. In other words, your update hyjacked my system. This is NOT SAFE. Kindly tell me how to turn automatic updates off. And if there is no such option, might I suggest that you create it. I an NOT happy right now.

gwenwifar
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 62
Message 1 of 177 (52,708 Views)

Re: I want to turn off automatic updates

Unfortunately, there is currently no way to stop automatic updates.  

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1255
Message 2 of 177 (52,415 Views)

[ Edited ]

If in your firewall the outgoing packet-filter blocks 204.9.163.158 (in Jan 2012: 204.9.163.247), attempts to download a pushed update from the update server will fail. Future updates will have to be illicited manually in a moment of your choice. Moreover, with this firewall setting, the little Skype installer files cannot do their work any longer. Either you will have to temporarily disable your filter setting, or to use the full installation file instead. You always get the most recent version from

download.skype.com/SkypeSetupFull.exe

paste the blue line into the address bar of your browser, hit ENTER

These measures make sense 

1. for mobile computers with mobile internet with low network coverage (EDGE) or limited traffic volume

2. as a protection for (business/intimate) calls that are not to be interrupted by no means.

De Dom en Kölle · Lösungen zu den häufigsten Problemen im Forum.
If you appreciate my efforts, please give me a Kudo: click on   + thumb-up ↘

Wenn du meine Bemühungen ok findest, gib mir bitte einen Kudo ↘
kicks-mobil
Explorer
Kudos: 624
Message 3 of 177 (52,407 Views)

That's weird, because someone in this form just told me that there was a newer version than what I was using, and when I asked Skype to update, it said I was already using the latest update. But when I checked, there was indeed a newer version, which I then had to download and install.
Rouke
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 4 of 177 (52,379 Views)

That was reported a couple of times and experienced by myself. If I dont confound something, it's the behavior of 5.5.0.110 beta, while 5.5.0.112 is already available. Maybe an additional reason for manually checking versions.

kicks-mobil
Explorer
Message 5 of 177 (52,368 Views)

thanks kicks

Skype use to let you decide if you wanted to update. One friend that I talk with on skype has an old version and she will not let them update her machine. I now wish I had kept that version...

I am trying the firewall block... but I can tell you now the avast firewall leaves a lot to be desired as to following rules.

Hopefully this will not make the little skype installer files run continuosly like other skype files sometimes do...

Strider
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 6 of 177 (52,218 Views)

You can go back to the latest version that lets you do that, it is 4.2.0.187. 

But it really is a shame, that such a good programme as Skype paternalises its users and does not give them the choice to do an update or not. If there was an alternative, I'd deinstall it just for that. It is not treating your users with respect, by all means.

Avigea
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 9
Message 7 of 177 (52,153 Views)

Strider wrote:

Skype used to let you decide if you wanted to update.

Avigea wrote:

the latest version that lets you do that, it is 4.2.0.187. 

@Avigea: nope, unfortunately mistaken. there is a storm of complaints that the 4.x settings to uncheck updates are not respected by Skype update servers.

4.x requires particular protection,

either by blocking the update server,

or by having it as additional installation.

community.skype.com/t5/Windows/Disabling-Skype-Home-autostart/m-p/96100#M10031

paste the blue line into the address bar of your browser, hit ENTER

kicks-mobil
Explorer
Message 8 of 177 (52,133 Views)

So, how about giving priority to this feature?? I got a VERY uneasy feeling when - yes hijacking is really the right word here - Skype hijacked my computer and forced an update on me, which I didn't want to have.

There must be SOME way of stopping automatic updates. Don't tell me anything else. Any program can be modified in this manner.

And on top of it all - the newest version is ugly to look at. The emoticons for example are cheap and awful in comparison to the old ones, which were really sweet to look at.

arenam2
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 6
Message 9 of 177 (52,111 Views)

Users have been asking for a stop to the Automatic Updates for years on this forum.

What is wrong with Skype management?

I am planning to uninstall Skype, and reinstall it only when I want to use it.

I use it infrequently, so this will not be a big deal, although it SHOULD BE UNNECESSARY.

It is indeed infuriating to try to be forced to accept a download.

I will never pay Skyp a penny for this or any other product they come out with due to this, now or ever.

As soon as a worthwhile competitor exists, I will be happy to never have to deal with this company again.

rickey731
Reliable Adventurer
Kudos: 17
Message 10 of 177 (52,087 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling