I can't uninstall Skype.

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Accepted Solution

I can't uninstall Skype.

So I wanted to get the new update for skype 6.0. I still had 5.10 at the time so i went to update it. It said "The older version of Skype 5.10 cannot be removed. Contact your technical support group." And then i get a Skype information pop up that says "Installing Skype failed; code 1603 A fatal error occurred during installation." So I tryed support and got nothing useful so I figure I could just uninstall my current Skype and then re-install the up to date one. So then I go to Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features and click Skype and proceed to try and uninstall it. And get a message saying, "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. 

Click the OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'Skype.msi' in the box below.

C:\ProgramData\Skype\{EE7257A2-39A2-4D2F-9DAC-F9F25B8AE1D8}\ "

So then I didnt know what was going on since this has never happened to me before. Then I went on to try and delete all the skype folders manually. Once I that and deleted it all I downloaded the skype installer and ran it. Then I get "The older version of Skype 6.0 cannot be removed. Contact your technical support group." And the got the same "Installing Skype failed; code 1603 A fatal error occurred during installation." message. Now im Skype-less and pissed off at the fact that nothing is working........seriously is it that hard to delete something off my computer?!?! :mad: Anyway if anyone can help me fix this I would be so greatful. Thanks

Tamim
Super Aviator

Accepted Solution

Uninstall skype with Program_Install_and_Uninstall troubleshooter

Download and Run the Program_Install_and_Uninstall troubleshooter >> Click Accept

uninstallfixit8.PNG

Detect problems and apply the fixes for me (Recommeneded)

uninstallfixit.PNG

Select Option Uninstalling

uninstallfixit1.PNG

Select Skype >> Next

uninstallfixit2.PNG

Click Yes, try Uninstall

uninstallfixit3.PNG

uninstallfixit4.PNG

You’ll see Fixed (Green Tick) >> Next

uninstallfixit5.PNG

Yes the problem has been fixed >> Next

uninstallfixit6.PNG

Click Close.

uninstallfixit7.PNG

View solution in original post
Blackdragon2124
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 8
Message 1 of 21 (23,668 Views)

Re: I can't uninstall Skype.

Uninstall skype with Program_Install_and_Uninstall troubleshooter

Download and Run the Program_Install_and_Uninstall troubleshooter >> Click Accept

uninstallfixit8.PNG

Detect problems and apply the fixes for me (Recommeneded)

uninstallfixit.PNG

Select Option Uninstalling

uninstallfixit1.PNG

Select Skype >> Next

uninstallfixit2.PNG

Click Yes, try Uninstall

uninstallfixit3.PNG

uninstallfixit4.PNG

You’ll see Fixed (Green Tick) >> Next

uninstallfixit5.PNG

Yes the problem has been fixed >> Next

uninstallfixit6.PNG

Click Close.

uninstallfixit7.PNG

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6846
Message 2 of 21 (23,652 Views)

Thank you so much!!!! This has made my day. :bigsmile: I can't even begin to show my thanks. You're the best!!
Blackdragon2124
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 8
Message 3 of 21 (23,646 Views)

You are very welcome and thank you for your feedback.

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6846
Message 4 of 21 (23,644 Views)

Install/Update Error 1603

Bingo. Worked this time. I was afraid it would uninstall my contact list but it didn't. Thanks.
GaryKromer
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 5 of 21 (22,874 Views)

Go to FileHippo.com,then download "Revo Uninstaller". Afterwards,look on the top bar for "Hunter Mode",click on that option to activate the "Crosshairs" icon. Open the Skype apllication,then drag the crosshairs onto it and click uninstall. It's that easy.

spock417
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 6 of 21 (21,254 Views)

Thanks very much the previous posted ssolution didn't work for me but this one worked perfectly.:(y):

notsobigal
Casual Tourist
Message 7 of 21 (19,283 Views)

This was really helpful! Thanks a lot
pchachoo
Novel Tourist
Message 8 of 21 (17,582 Views)

Bill Gates bought SKYPE and starting to mess with everything.  The same old Bill... How are his programmers?  You read, you discuss, you call tech centre and a good product is turned into garbage by MS.  Other examples are Outlook, HotMail and now SKYPE.  I was able to run the new version still around but every time to reboot my MacBookPro I go through the same agony... trail and error.   No direction, guidance, service provided.   Yap I am pissed off too!  *LOL*

andrewcutz
Novel Tourist
Message 9 of 21 (16,613 Views)

I have the same problem but when running the uninstaller, it reads error message 8004FE2C?? 

I am only able to use SKYPE v 5.1

Please help OBIWAN

marksteiman
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 10 of 21 (14,949 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling