How to reset Skype all together?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to reset Skype all together?

Hey, my Skype keeps showing all my contacts offline when I know they're logged in. And shows me offline to everyone else, even though my status is Online. I've tried fixing it by logging on and off, and shutting down/ restarting my laptop......

Is there anyway I can reset the whole thing, or what do I do?

midnightromeo91
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 10
Message 1 of 9 (32,147 Views)

Re: How to reset Skype all together?

I'd like to know the answer.  I have the exact same situation.  Is there a problem with Skype?  I believe the same was happening to my sister when we were both online.  Thanks.

pilipaul
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 2 of 9 (32,130 Views)

midnightromeo91 wrote:

Hey, my Skype keeps showing all my contacts offline when I know they're logged in. And shows me offline to everyone else, even though my status is Online. I've tried fixing it by logging on and off, and shutting down/ restarting my laptop......

Is there anyway I can reset the whole thing, or what do I do?

The problem you're encountering is (unfortunately) not uncommon and I don't know of a sure-fire solution for it.  However, you can reset your Skype configuration files via this procedure to see if it helps:

Quit Skype.  Hold the Windows key and type r.  In the box that comes up type %appdata% <enter>.  Scroll down to find the \Skype folder and rename it something like \Skype_old.  Restart Skype.

Note:  Renaming the Skype folder will move IM and call history to the renamed folder.  They can be recovered with a few extra steps.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 855
Message 3 of 9 (32,113 Views)

But how do yo RESTART Skype????
coldtoast7
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 7
Message 4 of 9 (29,434 Views)

But how do you RESTART Skype!!!!

coldtoast7
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 7
Message 5 of 9 (29,433 Views)

The way you usually start Skype....by clicking on the Skype shortcut on your desktop or quicklaunch bar, or on the Windows Start menu.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 855
Message 6 of 9 (29,323 Views)

When I try to rename skype, it doesn't let me, it says: "Thr action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program" Even after I close everything related to skype. How do I rename it?

Cammanm8
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 9 (10,173 Views)

What does resetting do to ur profile does it delete ur contacts
Posted from Android 4.1
hiyou241
Novel Adventurer
Message 8 of 9 (5,604 Views)

I woul like to reset Skype on my htc one. I log out few times since then I'm having problem sining in
Posted from HTC Z710
Nussloch
Novel Tourist
Message 9 of 9 (1,528 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling